Choosing a surgeon/fear of getting botched or getting a fake nose. (photo)

How does a patient overcome the fear of getting a botched nose, even w a "trustworthy" surgeon? A surgeon mentioned to me that computer images don't allow accurate results for rhino. Without them however, how can one be certain the Visions of the surgeon and patient are similar, as well as the surgical methods taken? I was advised a break in the nose is optional...? Any thought on how to make that final decision on choosing your rhino surgeon and why? There are so many surgeons but I only have one nose.

Choosing a Surgeon

Hello,  Choosing a surgeon is a difficult task as there are many variables that can come into play.  As a baseline, I recommend looking for a surgeon that is board certified in his specialty and is in good standing with the state medical board.  Other important issues include good word of mouth within the community and an extensive list of before/after photos on his website (which you like).  Also as important is the consultation.  Does he understand your concerns and offer realistic solutions? Do you like his bedside manner? Does his staff seem to care? Does he have an accredited facility? These are basics but I hope they help.Regards,

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The chosen one, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
I usually tell my patients that the first step for a safe plastic surgery is to choose a board certified aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon. This should have a personal website containing details of his professional biography and some photos of the procedures performed. Your plastic surgeon should be  transparent and a honest person with you, with ethical and human values, and especially with good reputation and history. Also, it's much better if this doctor have special training and experience in procedures like the one you're interested. Finally, i invite you to send your photos to give you more information of interest for you. Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-        

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Best Rhinoplasty...How to Choose Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon to Avoid a "Botched" Result

Hi Bcg,Making sure that you choose your rhinoplasty surgeon very carefully is the most important aspect of your rhinoplasty.  That decision must be based on your surgeon's experience, skill, knowledge, care, and most importantly their artistic vision.  Watch the video below for more tips (no pun intended!)  Michelangelo said that he saw the Angel within the marble and carved until it was set free.  Your rhinoplasty surgeon should have a similar philosophy.  Good luck and be well.Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon/fear of getting botched or getting a fake nose.

The best opportunity for your best nose is the first surgery. And it's not so much about trustworthy- as it is about the ability to deliver the best nose. Trustworthy is bi-product of a Surgeon who is committed and CAPABLE of delivering. Rhinoplasty requires the greatest knowledge, experience, skill, training- and TALENT. Most all Plastic Surgeons can and do perform breast surgery. Not all Plastic Surgeons will offer Rhinoplasty, and those who do should be able to demonstrate extensive before and after galleries of results.

Bcg33, choose your surgeon based on experience (the more the better), specialization (in my opinion should limit their practice to the face), training (should be fellowship trained in facial plastics/plastics) and availability of good operative photos (see their web site). Also see video. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Comfort.  You have to be comfortable with the surgeon and his skills. I too do not have imaging software, but I work well with my patients to try to achieve their goals. Best of luck.

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Choosing a  surgeon can be the most difficult part of rhinoplasty surgery. Look for an experienced board certified surgeon who devotes most of their practice to this operation. Ask to see multiple examples of results in noses like yours in addition to what is posted on their website. Don't rely on computer imaging; you want a great surgeon, not a good computer technician.

Choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon

Choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon can be a daunting task, but here are a few tips to consider. Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their surgical practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty, and performs them often on weekly basis, and has done so for a long period of time. Look at the doctor's before and after rhinoplasty photo gallery and make sure you  like what you see. The photo gallery should be extensive, which reflects how many noses the surgeon has performed. Board certifications are also important along with ratings, reviews, and testimonials. The real self platform allows patients to do their homework finding the appropriate surgeon. Computer imaging is also helpful at the consultation and examination, however it is a communication tool between the patient and the surgeon, not a guarantee of results. make three appointments with busy rhinoplasty surgeons in your area that go with your gut feeling.

Choosing the right surgeon

Thank you for your questions.  It is important to schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty.  You can look at online reviews and before and after pictures.  Ask the surgeon if they have patients that you can call to speak about their experience and outcome with the surgeon.  Best of luck! 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Surgeon

The best answer to your question is that you should choose your Surgeon based on practice patterns.  Does your Surgeon make Rhinoplasty a special interest in his/her practice?  Do you like the results and were you given the opportunity to see a wide variety of results of your Surgeon?  The reality is that Rhinoplasty depends on your nascent nasal framework and that a spectrum of realistic results exist that will look natural.  The idea that one can "choose a nose" is less realistic.  Computer imaging should be best thought of as a conversational tool and requires an entirely less developed skill set than Rhinoplasty itself.  Ultimately, choosing a Surgeon is a leap of faith that you must make if you wish to proceed.  Good luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon