Sculptra and dermal filler in the same location?

I have facial volume loss at 43 started at 42 after having dental procedure done (palate expander, braces etc). Mainly temples and preauricular area. Because of it I have what looks like pre jawls now. I'm a rather thin faced person, always have been. Now I have been told by 2 different injectors to wait 4 resp. 6 months to have Sculptra done in the same location after having had filler in there? Yet I see some Doctors suggesting they use both, filler and Sculptra at the same time in the same location?

Sculptra and Filler at same time

Certainly the manufacturers cannot suggest the simultaneous injection of sculptra and fillers as there is no research or government approval for this combination therapy.

Theoretically injection of a filler with sculptra will give a patient the desired result immediately and possibly lengthen the effectiveness of the filler.  This is the premise of mixing PRP (platelet rich plasma) with fillers known as The Vampire Facelift as well.

As the filler resorbs Sculptra begins to kick in.  Several injection sessions with Sculptra typically are required to achieve the results desired.  This allows adjustment of the eventual volume and results obtained.  Since Sculptra provides improvement in the quality and texture of the skin this combination can improve satisfaction with both the filler Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse and Sculptra.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Sculptra and dermal filler in the same location at same time

My preference is not to use Sculptra and another dermal filler to the same area at the same time.  I am not against using Sculptra and another dermal filler to the same area at different times however.  If a dermal filler is placed first, it can distort the appearance of the area and make it more difficult to determine how much and where to place the Sculptra.  If the Sculptra is placed first, I would wait at least 1-2 months before placing a dermal filler to the area.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and other fillers simultaneously

Getting 2 fillers at the same time is quite alright. You can get an immediate correction and then a long term correction as well. The injector must be careful that he/she does not end up overfilling the area and makes accommodations for the later filling by Sculptra when it kicks in.

Steven F. Weiner, MD