Puffy lower lids after Transcutaneous Blepharoplasty?

I had an upper and (transcutaneous) lower blepharoplasty and fat re-draping. My lower lids, after one month are puffy and, on one eye, a bit sensitive. I know it's likely too early to question the results, but could it be the doctor was too conservative or the fat re-draping didn't work? I had HUGE bags (part heredity/part malar "deformation") before surgery. Thanks!

Puffy lower eyelids after blepharoplasty with fat repositioning

Hello,If you had HUGE eyebags and had the fat redraping procedure, this is more involved.  Thus, more surgery usually equates to a longer healing phase.  Try to be patient with the healing process and allow your swelling to resolve as much as possible.  Stay in touch with your surgeon and ask him/her these questions.  I do think at 3-6 months you should be able to see more improvement.  It could take up to 1 year.  Best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Puffy lower lids after Blepharoplasty?

Fat repositioning procedures whether transcutaneous or transconjuctival involve more surgery and tend to hold swelling much longer than other eyelid procedures. Discuss with your surgeon your concerns.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

More time requoted for healing

some surgeons like me redrape the fat using tiny sutures to keep it in place . This leads to slight inflammation in the fat pad that feels like a tender bump in the lower eyelid. It takes 3-4 months for this to resolve and give you a perfect result. Though it's very difficult to comment in your case without a picture but I have patients who point out the same thing but it heals beautifully once all the swelling settles down!

Monisha Kapoor, MBBS, MS, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

The bigger the surgery, the longer the time frame for healing.

A month out from this surgery is not that long and it is not surprising that you might still be swollen.  Without a photograph, it is difficult to be more helpful.

Fullness after a lower blepharoplasty

It takes time to heal from a lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning. Is not uncommon to have some swelling, fullness, and puffiness under the eye for 3 to 4 months after the surgery. Is important not to jump to conclusions and let your body heal.
Hope this helps

Recovering from blepharoplasty: puffy lids

As with other surgeries, part of recovering from blepharoplasty is waiting for swelling to go down.One month after a blepharoplasty is still considered early healing. Water can still collect, particularly in the lower eyelid. Try sleeping with your head up on a 3-4 pillows, avoiding excess heat/sun, and restrict the salt you eat. Most importantly, keep your follow-up appointments with your surgeon, so she/he can follow your progress and keep you on a safe track. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after lower eyelid surgery

It is not uncommon to have some swelling a bit longer after  a "fat transposition" type of surgery vs. just transconjunctival excisional surgery. Give it a few more months to see your final result.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks post op

it is not a long time and after fat re draping you WILL get more swelling than the usual surgery . I usually tell my patients to continue icing and take some Benadryl at night to help with the edema. but the most important be patient! 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS

Post-operative swelling

Hi LiftIsSweet,Thanks for your question. In our experience, the majority of swelling resolves by about 2 weeks post-operative. However, we find that the last 10-20% of the swelling can take up to 6 months to resolve. In addition, if you had pre-operative malar edema, than I would expect to you to still have swelling at one month post-op and it will likely persist for up to 6 months. If you are having any increased pain, redness or warmth, I would not hesitate to call you surgeon. Also, some photos would help give us a better idea of what is concerning you. Hope this helps, good luck!