Is my nose crooked?

I went to a doctor who told me I have a deviated septum. It is about a 20% deviation.I am worried that my nose changed by an external interference and not naturally. Can such a deviation be caused by a hit or it is too minimal to be caused by a hit and it is natural?Can it affect the external look of the nose?Can my nose change shape even if it was not broken and if I didn't get hit too strong ?Without breaking it and bleeding etc? I just want to know if my nose shape is the one I naturally own.

Shape of your nose

Great question.  Long story short, yes, your nose can be caused to grow crooked by a small hit/deflection without causing bleeding, etc.  This usually occurs when we are younger - it is called a "green stick" fracture.  If you think of what happens to a tree branch that is cracked, but continues to grow, after it is cracked it now grows in a different direction.  The same thing can happen inside the nose after a slight hit causing a dislocation or deflection of the nasal septum.  There are many different types of surgeries that can help you resolve the compounded issue, and it would be best to discuss all these in consultation. Best of luck! I hope some of this helps.  

Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my nose crooked

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Septal deviation

If no doctor managed to answer your question I believe you could find your answer with radiology.

If radiology does not suggest any evidence of previous fracture you can assume that what you have is not the consequence of any trauma.

I wish you the best of luck,

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon