Surgery on May 3rd. Confused about implant size and type 24 Year Old 5"3 100 lbs. (photo)

Im still debating about implant size, my PS decided on 225 mentor gel HP implants submuscular. I tried on sizers and they seem nice, but I have seen results on the internet and I think they seem big. Im currently not filling a 32A cup and I want to be a B cup max. I want to achieve a very conservative and natural look.. Im looking for something like the pictures a very natural look, def not going for the basketball look. My BWD is 10.5 and my rib cage is 27" I have a very active lifestyle.

Choosing breast implant size

Breast Implant Size is a combination of subjective and objective criteria.There is not a direct correlation between the cc's of a breast implant and the corresponding cup size, as cup size is an inexact measurement that varies considerably among companies and even within the same company. Online consultants will not be able to guide you as well as surgeons who perform in person consultation.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level.

Your surgeon knows the specifics about you about you and your goals/objectives/lifestyle/lifestage. Trust that you made the right choice in surgeon, and allow him or her guide.

Implant size debate

Hello acg92 hope all is well, thank you for the question and pictures, this is a common question during breast augmentation consultation. There is really no straightforward answer to that question and each case must be addressed differently. Did you show your plastic surgeon your goal pictures? if so then he/she has made the specific recommendations based on your desired end results. An online consultation will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.  

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Trust Your Doctor

Hello and thank you for your question. At our office, we take measurements at the consultation, and use the Mentor sizing system for patients to "try on" implants and see what they look like. We will often do this at both the consultation and the pre-op appointment, so they feel confident prior to the day of surgery with their choice. We also use sterile sizers during surgery and try to get the patient as close to their goal as possible. The better communication we have with our patients, the higher the satisfaction. Bring in photos that you like and express your goals. Ultimately, if you're using a board certified plastic surgeon who you trust, you can trust that he or she will provide you with the look you're going for. I think a 225cc HP gel implant placed beneath the muscle would get you a nice, natural-looking result. Best of luck!

Surgery on May 3rd. Confused about implant size and type 24 Year Old 5"3 100 lbs.

There are several factors that go into determining implant size and shape for each patient and until you have been examined it is not possible to answer that question. the doctor doing the surgery has examined you and based on your goals made a recommendation If you don't trust his judgement you should find a doctor you do trust. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What size implants

This is a common question asked not only in forums, but also in the offices of cosmetic plastic surgeons. It seems to be a source of some angst for most women as they have tremendous concern for what the final outcome might be. I find that several things over the last 25 years have helped patients decide which type, shape, and projection ratios will best suit their needs. I think it's helpful if the patient brings in several photographs of what the goal look of her breasts might be. Also, if she can bring some photographs of what she doesn't want this will eliminate trying to express in words what “natural”, “high cleavage”, “low cleavage”, “fake”, and “stripper” may mean to her. I have likewise found the Vectra 3-D imaging platform to be the single most helpful tool in trying to visualize what the outcome might be with different sizes of implants. The Mentor shell sizing system, in which a shell of implant material is placed over the breast and in a padless bra, can likewise be helpful in that it can, not only show the size in a bra, but can give the patient some idea as to what the weight of the implant might be.In my opinion, the implants will look best when the base width of the implant is at, or just slightly less, than a natural base width of her breast. Considerations of chest wall abnormalities, location of breast creases, shapes of the breast, amount of overlying breast tissue, stretch ability of the skin and breast over the implant among other things also play a role in trying to best decide which implant will look best. It can also be helpful if the plastic surgeon, during their consultation, can provide some insight into what the likely outcome would be with different sized implants given their experience in breast implant surgery over many years. We ask our patients to bring different types of clothing such as evening gowns and bathing suits as well as a tight shirt to evaluate what the implant might look like under these type of clothing options. It is also possible to make a home made breast size or using grain rice. Approximately 1 ounce of rice equals 30 mL of breast implants volume. The rice can be placed into a pantyhose leg and enough volume left in the pantyhose such that the rice can be flattened out. You can then tie off the pantyhose and cut off the excess. This flattened rice volume pantyhose can be added on top of the breast inside of a padless bra and can give a rough approximation of what the corresponding implant might look like. Besides the size, most plastic surgical consultations for breast augmentation will also deal with the shape of implants, whether round or anatomically shaped. Here I think the Vectra really shines in that you can place two images next to each other, one with the shaped implant and one with a round implant such that the potential breast implant patient can really see what the difference would look like on them. All things considered, this can be a fun process and the vast majority of patients in my practice are quite happy with their end result. Hope your surgery goes well and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Choosing implant size is difficult

There are 4 basic questions to be answered when considering breast implant surgery:

1. The size of the implant
  2. The location of the implant (above or below the muscle)
  3. The location of the incision
  4. The style and type of implant
The most difficult decision is definitively the size selection.  Talk with your plastic surgeon and his/her staff, try on sizers, look at before and after pictures of other women who look just like you, try computer imaging.  All of these will help you reach a decision.  A basic rule of thumb is for every 200 cc of implant size the cup size increases one letter.  So, if you are an A cup now and place a 200 cc implant you should be at a B cup, 400 cc to a C cup and 600 cc to a D cup.  It would appear you are on the right track with a 225 cc silicone implant under the muscle.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for ME?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.  
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "basketball look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.