I would like to know the side effects, possible risks of coolsculpting and how does it affect my body.

I am 24 years and have always had a little fat around my tummy. I can't get rid of it with diets or excersise. I am on my weight (110 lb/50 kg) and I regularly excersise. Could Coolsculpting have an impact on me getting pregnant some years from now? If now I take birthcontrol pills, does Coolsculpting affects that? I have polycystic ovary syndrome and I take pills for that. Does Coolsculpting affect my treatment? Can the treated area (abdominals) bloat months away from doing the Coolsculpting?

CoolSculpting Side Effects and Safety

Thank you very much for your question. CoolSculpting is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe, noninvasive method for fat elimination. Side effects of CoolSculpting can include redness, tingling or numbness in the treatment area, and minor swelling. The swelling should resolve in one to two weeks, following your treatment. The procedure will not interfere with your chance for pregnancy in the future, and will not affect the efficacy of your birth control pills or your medications for polycystic ovary syndrome. I recommend scheduling a consultation appointment with an experienced plastic surgeon to further discuss the CoolSculpting procedure and decide if you are a good candidate for this technique.

CoolSculpting Side Effects

CoolSculpting is a very safe and effective treatment.  Common side effects are numbness, swelling, and bruising.  CoolSculpting does not affect any future pregnancies or birth control.  It freezes the fat cells in the treated area and your body naturally eliminates them.  You may have some bloating immediately following your treatment, but should not months later.  It would be best for you to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and a Certified CoolSculpting Specialist to see if this is the best treatment for you.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Possible Side Effects

Dear COSTA1992, You have great questions. Cool Sculpting will not have any effect on you getting pregnant in the future and is not a problem with you being on birth control. Always run your medications by your provider but all the above is not a documented contraindication for cool sculpting. Make sure to go to a center that is thorough in their consultation so you can make sure this is the right treatment for you. In regards to your last question, there is some swelling following abdominal treatments in some cases but not all. If you are swollen following abdominal treatments is should resolve within 3-4 weeks at most. Best of Luck

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting vs SculpSure and HI DEF 4D CONTOURING

Coolsculpting is very safe, I suggest you get a formal consultation with an expert in surgical and non surgical contouring so you can decide if this treatment is for you and if you are a candidate for it.  Best, Dr. Emer.

How does Coolsculpting effect you

Coolsculpting focuses only on the superficial fat in a very limited and specific area in which the applicator is placed.  It does not have any effect on your ability to get pregnant, your PCOS/PCOD or any medications you may be taking.  Coolsculpting does not render you immune from weight gain or specifically weight gain in the abdominal area.  If you have had periodic issues with bloating in the past, you can still experience periodic bloating in those areas but nothing that is as a result of Coolsculpting.  Consider a consultation with a Coolsculpting provider to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment.

Grant Stevens, MD