Can a doctor who is going to fix your nose give you pain pills or any anesthetic? (photos)

I really don't wanna go through this awful pain again cause I've been hearing how painful and scary it is to fix your nose. I'm pregnant and don't wanna go through trauma. Can the doctor give me something to knock me out or make me numb?

Rhinoplasty concerns

Thank you for your question. You should be fully asleep for the procedure and feel nothing. Pain medications are always prescribed after a surgery. Most of my patients describe a recovery that was better than they expected and can manage any pain very well with the medications. You will want to wait until after your delivery as general anesthetic should not be given when pregnant unless in an emergency situation.  Consult with at least 2 or 3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who specialize in Rhinoplasty and can show you lots of photos of their patients results. Best Wishes

Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and pain

Hello! Rhinoplasty is almost always performed under anesthesia- either general or twilight. After surgery you should have narcotics prescribed by your surgeon. I would recommend consulting with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and ask to speak to some former patients who have been through the experience so you know what you are getting into. For the most part, you should not have pain that cannot easily be controlled by narcotics. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to straighten a crooked nose

Elective cosmetic  nasal surgery is not performed on patients who are currently pregnant. To straighten a crooked nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones to straighten them. Also important to evaluate the internal  nasal passageway for any deviated  septum, which may need to be fixed at the same time. In our practice, rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort. Since we do not place any packing in the nose, is not very painful, and patients take just a few pain pills in the first couple of days after the procedure. For more information and many examples, please see link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

It is absolutely possible to give a patient pain medication after surgery.The goal is to keep the patient comfortable after surgery. If you are pregnant it is likely surgery will need to wait until after the pregnancy.

Can a doctor who is going to fix your nose give you pain pills or any anesthetic

Thank you for your question, Your question is not clear but for every operation of Rhinoplasty you will be asleep during the operation under General Anesthesia meaning you will not fell anything. After operation Medication for pain is usually given to patients as well as antibiotics.Depending how many month you are, i do not recommed you to have operation during pregnancy. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon