I am 16 days post-op. TT and breast lift. I have a lot of swelling at night in legs and breast. Is that common?

My swelling goes from breast that get huge to feet.where i have leg and calf pain, i have to walk around every 2 hours,.also had to get larger spanks. I have tried lower sodium and sleep reclined. My feet remain cold and the pain in left calf decreases but does fully go, alot of tingling in legs and arms

Healing and Recovery after a Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please follow up with your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Significant swelling of the legs after mommy makeover should be reported to your surgeon.

Some swelling of the legs is fairly common. However this is significant it is worthwhile to report this to your surgeon to be certain there is no venous obstruction.

Swelling and leg pain

Hi honey, thanks for your question, pain and swollen is realle normal after surgery, but how you explain what is happening to you is absolutely unusual. I recommend you to visit your plaastic surgeon to get a medical evaluation to be sure there are no blood clots. good luck and best wishes.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

You sound as if you are having an unusually difficult recovery. The pain and cold in your leg is particularly unusual. I would suggest that you see you surgeon for an evaluation. It's always best to err on the side of caution. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Swelling and leg pain 16 days after tummy tuck and breast lift

Thank you for asking about your  tummy tuck and breast lift.

• You sound unusually swollen after your tummy tuck
  • Of most concern is the pain and swelling in your legs.
  • I suggest you contact your surgeon promptly
  • S/he will probably want you to have a doppler exam of your legs to be sure there are no blood clots.
  • S/he might always want to get some blood tests - unless the garments are too tight, the arm and leg tingling sounds unusual.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Pain and swelling are common after multiple procedures but an specific pain can be danger sign. Lower leg pain, swelling and sensory or temperature disturbances could indicate deep vein thrombosis (DVT).Don't get in panic you don't have a diagnosis yet, but don't waste time. You need to contact your plastic surgeon immediately to get medical evaluation, he or she will provide the correct diagnosis and treatment.All the Best!!Dr.Brenda Pache.

Brenda Pache, MD

Leg swelling

Thank you for your question. You should be seen by your surgeon today. I would suggest that you get an ultrasound performed of your legs to be sure there is no blood clot developing. It's likely all just fine, but this is one potential problem that you don't want to miss. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

2 Weeks Post Mommy Makeover, Pain & Swelling In Left Calf - Is This Normal?

While pain and swelling in the early post operative period after multiple cosmetic procedures is not unusual, specific pain and swelling in only one calf can be a huge danger sign. 

You need to contact your plastic surgeon immediately and if he or she in unavailable, then your primary care physician and/or an emergency room. 

One sided calf swelling with pain can be indicative of clotted veins in one's calf known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT).  If, in fact, these clots are present, they can be dislodged and travel up your veins to your lungs leading to what is known as pulmonary embolism (PE). 

Both DVT and PE are medical situations requiring immediate intervention.  Don't panic as you don't have a diagnosis yet, but don't waste time and get medical evaluation as soon as possible. 

Though swelling is common for the types and extent of surgeries you had performed, it is important to always rule out serious, potentially life-threading, issues.  Lower leg pain, swelling, and temperature/sensory disturbances may all be indicative of the development of a lower leg clot.  If on physical exam your symptoms also demonstrate physical manifestations of a clot, an ultrasound of your legs should be performed to rule out a clot as a potential cause.  I would speak with your surgeon to have an in-person evaluation performed.  This will provide you with peace of mind that your swelling is only normal postoperative swelling or guide you to the correct path for treatment.