Undercorrected ears after otoplasty - Poor assessment and knowledge of techniques by surgeon? (Photos)

I had otoplasty done about 2-3 weeks ago. I have read that in most cases the ears will seem slightly over corrected at first as the doctors count on a little spring back. I've felt the compete opposite from the first day, like they barely changed. I believe the doctor didn't assess my case properly and wasn't really qualified in techniques for different issues. I feel only the antihelical fold was done, but wasn't the main issue (Conchal bowl, angle, etc). Would appreciate an expert opinion.

Could you have been flatter?

Absolutely.  But you do have an obvious improvement and if you do not experience the 'spring back', your results are good.  If you have some areas that are not symmetrical, you should be able to discuss them with your surgeon and revisions can always be done.  As for questioning the qualifications of your surgeon, that is something you should have done prior to the procedure. And as for the Merck stitch method, if it was truly a great technique, the whole world would be using it.

Undercorrected ears after otoplasty

I assume that your ears were pinned with a traditional method. Unfortunately, one cannot co-determine the new position of the ears during the operation with this method. This is only possible with the Merck stitch method.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

It looks like you have a nice result. It would require an examination/discussion to pinpoint your exact concerns to see whether or not there could predictable further improvement. Sometimes there can, sometimes the patient's expectations are not achievable. It is most important pre-op to agree on what will be considered an acceptable result for each patient. Often otoplasty patients have desires for set back that are more than is considered average/normal.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD