What surgery would you recommend to improve the overall appearance of my nose.

My nostrils are uneven, the bridge has a slight bump and my tip is bulbous. I would like to avoid my nose sticking up and looking ski jump and I don't want the bridge to look thin or pinched in. My nose is already quiet small (even though it doesn't look it, due to the bolbous tip), but I'm worried surgery will make it look too small for my face. This is something I have considered for years, but not sure where to start.

Dude. Send some pics.

I usually make a morph when I'm answering questions like this, to show the changes that are possible for your nose with a rhinoplasty. But I need photos to do that! See the "Web reference" link, just below my post. At the *very* bottom of that page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations like this.

The page also contains an important section on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty options

It is possible to reduce the dorsal hump, make the dorsal look flat and not ski jump, make the nostrils appeared more symmetric and achieve all that without making the nose looked too small.

It is very important for you to communicate your desires in detail to your surgeon prior to the surgery.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump and reducing the bulbous tip with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about what may be needed. Look for a surgeon with extensive experience with rhinoplasty for best results. Digital computer imaging can also be performed in the office setting to get an idea what your nose would look like on your facial features. For more information and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below 

Hello Zzak - Thanks for your question. I think that you need to see a rhinoplasty specialist in person for more information. If your bridge is thin already, conservative bridge work to improve the bump might be indicated. If your tip is too big, then tip reduction surgery would be possible in most cases. Conservative rhinoplasty can be performed to improve the nose while avoiding all the stereotypical changes people think of when they think of the "typical nose job." 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rest Assured

I have heard similar concerns from my patients.  They want an improved appearance, but they don't want a Barbie nose.  Of course not!  While you may hear and see stories of over done noses, there are many many people you encounter everyday who have had rhinoplasty and you would never know!  The key is to go to a facial plastic  surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and can give you a nice natural result.  

For each of my patients we spend a lot of time talking and planning.  We develop a customized plan to help meet their needs, and keep the whole face in balance.  

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

If the appearance of your nose concerns you, it can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. 

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue. 

obert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon