Nipple realignment issue? (Photos)

Hi I got a breast augmentation and nipple realignment 5 weeks ago now overseas, and around my areola on the right side it has started to pull apart and is just flesh and the stitch has pierced through my skin in another section (which I thought were dissolvable) and slightly infected. I'm on antibiotics but I don't see how that's going to join the skin together again. Is this normal and what should I do??

Wound Closure Issue

The tension that you have on the incision will make it difficult to close properly. I recommend that you see a Plastic Surgeon in person for proper wound care.

All the best

Breast wounds after surgery overseas what do I do?

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your question and photo. It seems that you have had wound dehiscence or opening to the upper part of the breast from the donut mastopexy or breast lift with implants you had done. It sometimes happens. A thing to remember is that when a donut mastopexy is done usually a permanent suture is placed to prevent the nipple from stretching. If this gets infected, it can be problematic and sometimes lead to capsular contracture or the implant getting hard if not treated early. I would recommend evaluation with a plastic surgeon just to make sure that a permanent suture was not placed. I would continue your antibiotics. Once infection infection is cleared your body will close the opening and shrink it down. This will lead a slightly wider scar, but it can certainly be corrected in the future. Good luck.

All the Best,

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon

#BreastAugmentation #Breastlift

It looks like you have some wound separation and will likely need a revision to the scar in about  6 months to a year.

Spitting Sutures

Classic problem with surgery abroad. While your problem may be just an absorbable suture being rejected by the body, and thus "spitting" it out, it may be other issues. I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon ASAP to evaluate your situation, and I am afraid to say, expect to pay a fee for those services needed. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Nipple realignment issue?

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. It's important to touch base with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding how to proceed. In general minor wound healing issues after breast augmentation and lift heal with just local wound care. Sometimes even absorbable sutures may "spit" and need to be removed. This helps the wounds heal more quickly.

Breast augmentation and nipple lift - now problems. Surgery done abroad

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and nipple lift.

• I am sorry this is happening - this is one of the problems with having surgery done abroad.
  • You are probably having a reaction to internal sutures that your body is rejecting faster than they can dissolve.
  • You will need to find a plastic surgeon to see you and remove the sutures as they come to the surface.
  • Six months after the area is completely healed, you may need a scar revision around the nipple.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Wound concern after breast surgery

Sorry for your struggles.  You need to find a plastic surgeon close to home or at least a wound specialist to help manage the acute problem.  Once the wound has healed, you can discuss revision with the new local surgeon or travel back to see your operative surgeon.  I wish you a speedy recovery and best of luck.   

Breast augmentation overseas

It is best to contact your plastic surgeon for instructions on how to proceed.  Unfortunately this is one of the issues of having surgery so far away from home.  Generally speaking these minor separations heal just fine, they just take time.  

Camille Cash, MD

Nipple realignment issue?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Not sure it is clear from your story whether you had the surgery overseas, or you had the surgery in your hometown and now are traveling overseas. If it is the first one, then you have fallen into the pitfall that I see so often with surgical tourism. You went and had a procedure and now have a problem and no one to turn to. If that is the case, you need to be seen by a local plastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment, but this may come at significant cost since they did not do the surgery and are having to treat someone else's complication. If you had the surgery locally but are now overseas, I would recommend dressing the wound with antibiotic ointment and keeping it covered with a bandage until you can be seen by your plastic surgeon. 

Hope this helps!

Complications After Plastic Surgery Abroad

Possible postoperstive complications is the reason that plastic surgery tourism can be problematic. What you should do is immediately contact your plastic surgeon and follow his/her instructions. If necessary, you may need to follow up with a local plastic surgeon. Because your post operative recovery care was included in your original surgeon's fee, expect to pay a separate fee for any services provided by a local plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician