Is a mini tummy tuck sufficient for me? (photos)

Hello, I recently discovered that I have diastasis recti. So I have been using the Mutu method to close my 4 finger width gap and strengthen my core. I'm now at about 1 1/2 fingers and somewhat happy with the (minor) improved result. My question is - do you think a mini tummy tuck would be sufficient for me? As you can see I have stretch marks and still a round belly (possibly very stubborn fat) I've had two emergency c sections from two 9 pound babies. I'm 5 foot 3 inches and 50kgs. Thank you :)

Is a mini tummy tuck sufficient for me?

Thank you for your question. It's impossible to say without examining you, but based on your photos it appears that you have laxity of your abdominal wall below and above your belly button. It's possible to float the belly button, do a mini tummy tuck and repair the abdominal wall above the belly button, but I prefer a full tummy tuck. With a full tummy tuck, it's possible that you may not have enough excess skin to remove the belly button hole, but this is easily taken care of by closing the belly button hole as a small vertical line.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

You may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck to tighten your muscles but a face to face exam would be helpful to determine how much upper belly skin laxity you have.  The latter would not be helped by a mini and is the reason most women elect to undergo a full TT after pregnancy(s).  There's more information in the video above about the differences between the two procedures.

Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon for evaluation. 

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  The decision between a mini vs a full can really only be made with an in-person examination in you to determine the degree of your skin laxity.  Both a full and a mini can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Mini tummy tuck with umbilical float and full muscle repair

A full diastasis muscle repair can be done with a mini tummy tuck using a technique called umbilical float. It will not improve skin laxity in the upper abdomen and will not remove all of the stretch marks. There are several variations of the tummy tuck procedure to be aware of.

Richard Baxter, MD

Full tummy tuck

Looks like you can benefit from a full tummy tuck with muscle repair, an in person consultation would help to better evaluate you,consult with a board certified PS, good luck! 

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. Looking at the photos i feel you are a better candidate for  full Tummy tuck and liposuction in the areas needed. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD