I am currently breastfeeding my 9 month old baby and was wanting to get Botox in my frown line only. Is this OK or not?

Botox and Breast Feeding

I suggest waiting before using botox although no studies have shown that it affects the baby when lactating.  Better to be safe.  Best, Dr. Emer.

The safety and efficacy of Botox has not been tested in women who are pregnant or breast feeding

Thank you for your question sarahraquel. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as those between the brows seen when one frowns. The safety and efficacy of Botox has not been tested in women who are pregnant or breast feeding. So unfortunately we do not know the answer to your question. In such situations I recommend to my patients to err on the side of safety and wait until they are no longer breast feeding before undergoing such cosmetic treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Deep Hydration Can Fake the Effects of Botox for Pregnant and Breast-Feeding Women

Botox has not been studied for safety in pregnant or lactating mothers, so the conventional wisdom at this point is to hold off until you are finished breastfeeding. In the meantime, try a deeply hydrating serum to smooth and soften lines.

Mitchell Chasin, MD
Livingston Physician

Botox while breastfeeding

It is not recommended to have any cosmetic procedure, laser or otherwise while you are breastfeeding due to there being no studies to support the safety of your baby. 

#breastfeedingandbotox  #cosmeticpregnancy   #frownlines  #post-pregnancy

Botox/Filler and Pregnancy/Breastfeeding

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. I would not get injected while you are pregnant or breastfeeding as this could lead to problems and is not recommended by the FDA.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. It is not recommended to have any cosmetic procedures done while pregnante and/or breastfeeding. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox while breastfeeding?

Thank you for your question. I recommend you do not get Botox injections if you are still currently breastfeeding.

Botox and breast feeding

Botox is not recommended for use during pregnancy or breast feeding.  It is best to wait until after you are done breast feeding.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and breastfeeding

Best to wait until after you have finished breastfeeding before recommencing your Botox treatments.  

Thank you for your question. It is always recommended not to have Botox while pregnant or breast feeding as there are no studies to support it is safe. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD