Gynecomastia issues

Hi, I have had gyno since I was atleast 14 years old and I'm 19 now. The surgery where I live is expensive 7-10k abit over the top in my opinion. I was wondering if I was take a test replacement (steroid injection) then use an AI (PCT) would this some how work? Please don't give me the "you're to young for steroids" in a few years my natural production will reduce either way.

Doctor Answers 5


Thank you for the question and it is doubtful that anything taken will reduce the gynecomastia other then surgery but see an endocrinologist and be worked up.  Sometimes anastozole or tamoxifen may be helpful.

Dr.. Corbin

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Gynecomastia Concern at a Young Age

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 
Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Gynecomastia Issues

Thank you for your question.

Steroid injection will not help with Gynecomastia. I do not know of any study that has shown any beneficial effect of the non surgical treatment you are looking for. I would recommend waiting till the time you feel financially and otherwise ready for the surgical procedure. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 166 reviews


 Unfortunately someone is going to have to tell you that you're looking for trouble. These injections and Medications are completely unproven and can lead to significant problems. I know you don't want to hear this but when the time comes consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

The only solution for gynecomastia is surgery. Steroids will make it worse

How should I choose a surgeon? Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.