How do I know if the bump is the Juvederm or still just swollen? (photos)

I got lip fillers (juverdern) a week ago and now there's a bump. If it's swollen, why is it only causing a bump there? I've tried to massage it but it doesn't really do anything.

Swelling After Juvederm

Your lump can be from the placement of filler and not swelling. I would allow another week for the swelling to go down. If you are unhappy with the results you can have it reversed with hyaluronidase. I recommend contacting your injector for an evaluation.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lip swelling

It looks like you may need hyaluronidase. It is still early in your recovery from the injection. I would recommend follow up with you Injector for evaluation.

Juvederm

I'm sorry you are having concerns with your treatment. It takes about two weeks for all of the swelling to subside.  If the massaging doesn't seem to be having any effect, you may want to return to your injector for an evaluation.

Camille Cash, MD

Lip bump after 1 week

A isolated lip bump could be filler or blood. It looks like filler. Discuss with your doctor. It can be reduced using hyaluronidase. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lump 1 week after Juvederm

Lumpiness for 2-3 weeks after Juvederm is very normal. If the lump is not gone by then (or least significantly smaller) check with your provider.  Hope this helps!

Swelling Cessation After Lip Filler Injection Like Juvederm, Restylane, Belotero

It can take a few weeks for swelling to subside after an injection and to be able to see final results. I suggest contacting your injector. If you are unhappy with the final results, you can have it reversed and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Based on your photo, I would suggest that you contact your injector to be instructed on massaging the area of unwanted fullness.  I would also suggest that you allow 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with Vitrase.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

How do I know if the bump is the JVD or still just swollen?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  In most cases a lump of this size is largely filler placement and not swelling.  Though I would allow another 1-2 weeks to pass to allow the filler to soften and improve in appearance, if it does not completely correct you can either place additional filler to help camouflage the bump or you can have it dissolved with hyaluronidase.  Hope that this helps.

Swelling after Juvederm

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon