Is this a botched labiaplasty? What happened? (Photos)

Hi I would like to get some answers about my labioplasty trim I had 4 weeks ago , I've had few kids and wanted just a small trim to make my labia not hang out I told my surgeon I wanted labia but just trimmed and I'm very unhappy with the look of it ,, it was fine to start with but now looks botched and don't want to look at it anymore , is this normal ? My clitoris is larger now and looks not normal I can't even wipe when go to Toliet because it's so dry down there and the scar tissue is sore

Botched labiaplasty was due to improper execution of technique and omission of clitoral hood contouring

Rookie botch job, basically. Too much labium was taken from the left side, no reduction of loose clitoral hood skin was done. Your clitoris is the same size it's always been, it's just sitting there all lonely like a hood ornament. Not too much tissue to work with anteriorly, but posteriorly there is plenty of loose skin that could be rotated or advanced into the gap in a revision. I would wait at least six months for a perineal flap, but this is expert level work.

Labiaplasty: Excessive Excision

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your concerns.  Based on the photographs provided, it appears that the surgeon may have excised more the labia minora that you expressed desires.  The appearance of the clitoris/clitoral hood may be due to the amount of labia excised, but this could be improved by excising some of the clitoral hood.  However, based on your expressed goal of your original surgery, you may not want to consider this option.  I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon.  If you wish to seek a second opinion, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if this means traveling.   Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Genital Mutilation by an inexperienced surgeon!

Unfortunately, you had an "amputation labiaplasty" by a surgeon who in not specially trained to perform a proper labial REDUCTION (you got amputated) and to carefully reduce a prominent clitoral hood. This doc didn't know how to deal with  the hood: amputated the labia & left the hood hangin'. This type of genital mutilation happens when patients go to someone who says they can do it but cannot prove they've been specially trained and cannot show you at least 20-25+ before and after pics of their work.  
What to do?? Nothing if it doesn't bug you. If it does, the only thing to do is to wait until ~ 6 months post-op & do an "island flap," where your redundant clitoral hood is "brought down" and re-attached to cover the denuded portion of your removed lips. You will need to see a skilled plastic surgeon or cosmetic gynecologist who SPECIFICALLY knows how to do a flap in this specific area. Unfortunately, it will cost you a lot of $$. Dunno exact cost in Australia, or even if there are docs that do it. MY charge here in Northern CA, USA, is ~ US$7000. Dr. Gary Alter in Los Angeles (VERY experienced!) charges ~ US$10-12,000. By the way, Dr. Gordon Padovan, MD in Perth was recently trained by me. He will be an excellent gential plastic surgeon, but he doesn't yet do "flaps..."
Michael P Goodman, MD

Is this a botched labiaplasty? What happened?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and unfortunately it appears that your surgeon overly resected the central portion of each of your labia minora.  This has left you with a contour irregularity with continued excess clitoral hood tissue and lower labial tissue.  You will likely require revision surgery with the use of your clitoral hood tissue to reconstruct your amputated labia.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation for your revision. 

Yes, yours is botched

and your surgeon should have some obligation to you to help improve your outcome.  And if not experienced in such reconstructive procedures, should not be doing such procedures anywhere or anytime.  Your options are really limited so choose your surgeon carefully and experience does matter here.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Pretty clearly you had an aggressive near amputation done

I never do amputation or "trim" labiaplasties. The extended wedge will never result in over-resection of the labia. Unfortunately, the technique is difficult and requires meticulous suturing. Most doctors don't perform it. You still have some hood tissue which could be used to reconstruct the labia and re-create them. Be patient and willing to travel and find the right doctor who can be very specific with you and your goals.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. It is definitely understandable that you may be feeling uncomfortable or slight pain, and those issues should be taken up with your surgeon in person. If you are worried at all that the area is not healing properly it would be a good to have a live appointment for evaluation. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful for the swelling as well, but if anything at all is uncomfortable then the questions should be taken to your surgeon, as mentioned above. Best of luck to you and I hope everything improves ASAP.

#Labiaplasty - Is this a botched labiaplasty?

Based on your photos you appear to have had too much tissue removed.  It is possible that another technique was used and that you had deshiscence (the wound edges came apart) but since so much appears to be missing, it's reasonable to conclude that you now have a significant tissue deficit - regardless of the origin. I would advise you to follow Dr. Alter's advice carefully.  Wait 6 months (at least) and then consider a revision.  Make sure that you go to a doctor experienced in revisional techniques, of which there are not many.  You may decide that visiting Dr. Alter is the most prudent approach at this point.   I hope that this helps and good luck, Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Is this a botched labiaplasty?

Dear Tialee11,Thank you for writing in with your question, concerns and photos.  I am sorry to hear about  your surgical results and can understand why you would be unhappy. Yes, this is a botched labiaplasty.  Too much tissue was removed on both sides, more on the left.  The clitoral hood was left unattached to the labia minora on each side (left is worse), the frenulum is uneven and asymmetric, and there is excess hood skin.  The clitoris is not any bigger than before but now there is no surrounding skin so it stands out more.If you desire to have a revision surgery, wait at least 6 months for all of the swelling to go down and the healing to be finished under the skin.  Be sure to get at least 2 opinions from surgeons highly experienced in labiaplasty and labiaplasty revisions who are either cosmetic-plastic gynecologists, uro-gynecologists, or plastic surgeons.  See lots of before and after pictures, and ask how they address post-op problems when they arise.  For more information on labiaplasty surgery, please visit the link below.I hope this information is helpful.Sincerely,Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOGCosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Botched labiaplasty

I reviewed your photo. It appears that most of your left labium minora was removed.  However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend a clitoral hood flap to reconstruct your labium.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD