Could I benefit from chin implants? (Photo)

Hi. I've noticed that something's "off" about the profile of my face and realised it could be my chin. I feel as if this is the reason my face looks big from the side. Do you think it's because of a receded chin, or something else? There is also a bit of asymmetry with my profile. What cosmetic procedure could fix that? Thank you!!

Weak profile

When assessing whether to have a chin implant or something more aggressive, you need to have your bite evaluated. If you simply have a small chin but your bite is good (microgenia) then a chin augmentation procedure is appropriate. If you have a significant overbite and a small chin (micrognathia) then you should at least have the discussion of whether to move your lower jaw forward to improve your bite and augment your chin. A chin implant is a very straight forward, low risk procedure with a very high satisfaction rate that can be done with local anesthetics or at a surgery center. Also, if you are unhappy with the augmentation,  the procedure can be completely reversed when using a silastic implant. Best of luck!

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation

You have a significant chin deficiency which is best treated by a sliding genioplasty at your young age. This chin procedure will serve you the best long-term.

Could I benefit from chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Chin implant for receding chin

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic and are usually placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Chin Implant?

A chin/jowl implant would increase chin projection and jawline definition. Although asymmetries may be obvious  in person they are not significant in these pictures.

Chin implant

A chin implant could certainly alter your profile and give you the more defined chin and jawline you are looking for.  The first thing I would recommend is scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  They would review the procedure from start to finish including the cost and should also have pictures for you to see of their previous cases.  Imaging is very helpful with chin augmentation as it aids in determining the projection and width of the implant needed and allows the patient to see the possible result.  Your surgeon will also determine if there are other issues that could be contributing to a recessed chin to ensure that an implant is really the best option for you.  The chin plays a major role in overall facial balance so your surgeon will look at your nasal profile and other facial features while discussing your goals with you.  Best of luck!  

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon