Do Azeliac peels and Hydroquinone work effectively for management of Melasma?

Melasma and treatments

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Go with an expert for best results with treating Melasma with clear + brilliant, microneedling/prp

You're right, a combination approach is best for treating Melasma, but you'll want to see an expert. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for best treatment options. We currently use clear + brilliant with bleaching and microneedling/prp and getting amazing results. I suggest you see an expert. You will need lifelong treatment, sun protection, skin care. But these treatments can give you improvement and then help you maintain. Best , Dr. Emer.