Do Azeliac peels and Hydroquinone work effectively for management of Melasma?

Azelaic acid cream or Melarase

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Azelaic is a great non HQ system. 

I recommend that you apply the appropriate creams to the entire face. 

Cysteamine is a strong agent and may cause hypopigmentation especially in daark skin.

Melasma treatments are lifelong and should be tailored for each patient.

Melarase is a great regimen to add or a Brightening Kit in its entirety.

I also recommend that you add one of two of these oral supplements for pigmentary control: Scler-X PIH Relief Complex from VenaSmart or Pigmentation Correction Complex from KareSkin.

You will need wide spectrum UV protection with SPF 30+ sunblock as well. 

H Karamanoukian MD FACS

Melasma and treatments

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Go with an expert for best results with treating Melasma with clear + brilliant, microneedling/prp

You're right, a combination approach is best for treating Melasma, but you'll want to see an expert. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for best treatment options. We currently use clear + brilliant with bleaching and microneedling/prp and getting amazing results. I suggest you see an expert. You will need lifelong treatment, sun protection, skin care. But these treatments can give you improvement and then help you maintain. Best , Dr. Emer.