Do I have Symmastia? What is wrong with my breasts? (photos)

I am two weeks post op of a breast augmentation. My sternum is raised and there is no gap in between my breasts. I have 375cc UHP implants, under the muscle. One of my breasts is also slightly bigger and lower than the other. Is this skin tenting, symmastia or swelling? What do I need to do? I am quiet concerned

2 weeks post op

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel swelling and asymmettries during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would always be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Tenting or Symmastia

I don't think you have symmastia, simply skin tenting due to the high profile implant.  At this stage it is too early to tell for sure but I expect it to improve soon.

I agree there is some minor asymmetry of implant position but again it is very early post op and most likely this will improve over the next few weeks as the tissues stretch and the implant settles into position.

At this stage the important thing is that the wounds are healing well and there are no complications such as bleeding or infection.  From your photos, it looks as though all is going well from this point of view so it is now a matter of waiting for the implants to settle.

Please check with your surgeon if you still have any concerns at all.

Kind regards,

Dean

Symmastia YES OR NO ?

Hi there,
From the middle picture it does not look like symmastia and yes there is lot of swelling at this stage.However if as a surgeon I feel after examining a patient like you that you may develop a symmastia in future during ehaling than I suggest my patient to use a folded small towel between to two breast inside the surgical bra in such a way that this presses the skin in the cleft area of breast towards the deeper place sternum.
You can discuss this with your surgeon if you like before starting to use such methods.

Synmastia?

What you are seeing is probably from the swelling which should continue to improve.  There may be an element of skin tenting also, but this will also likely improve as the skin relaxes.  Only after your swelling has subsided can you tell if there is a true synmastia (unlikely).

Whenever there is a question or an unexpected issue, I recommend a patient contact their surgeon to discuss what is going on, and be seen in person if the surgeon feels it is appropriate to do so.  You can ask your surgeon about the swelling, and the implant size and position on the left side as well, and see if they have any thoughts (they know you best, including your preop appearance).  Best of luck!

Symmastia

I agree that it is too early to tell until the swelling has gone down. With the ultrahigh profile implants they do tend to tent the skin a little more. I would go back to your surgeon to discuss your concerns. If he or she is concerned about symmastia they might recommend placing a soft barrier between your breasts to decrease the risk of developing symmastia. 

Surjit S. Rai, MD (Dallas Plastic Surgeon) 

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Do I have Symmastia? What is wrong with my breasts?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. You have a lot of swelling and it is too early to evaluate you need time for the swelling to reduce so that you can start to see the real results after 6 months to 1 year.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tenting

Thank you for the photos and question but it is difficult to  say what is going on without examining you.  so if you have concerns see your surgeon.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD