Needing a long lasting filler.

Hello I have extremely fast metabolism, my body just chews through all fillers and wrinkle relaxers. I get 2 months out of both Botox and Dysport, never longer. I've attempted to fill my lips tear trough and marionette lines trying Perlane, Restylane, Juviderm and Rasiesse. I've also tried seeing several different reputable injectors only to have the same dismal results. Results lasted about a month :( I'm now wanting to enhance my lips- Is Aquamid the only answer for me?

Doctors Consult Advised Beforehand - Fat Transfer May Be Your Best Answer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Ramsay,

Personally, I am not a fan of Aquamid and there is a saying: "permanent filler, permanent problems’’ - although some may disagree with this.

The reason why I don’t like it is because it's difficult to remove and other products add to this later.

Fat transfer in experienced hands may be your best answer. Make sure your injectors are very experienced and you did not pay unit prices - as this can be misleading.

It is also surprising to read from you that Radiesse did not last. In my experience, some patients think the filler has not lasted when it’s really just the swelling volume. When the swelling volume goes down, they think it has not lasted - when really, they just need more. This is very, very common.  

Make sure you pick one good clinic (that is not a “cheap” clinic) and try to stick with them while trying more volume after a month then see how you go as time goes on.

Also, marionettes and tear troughs can be difficult. Sometimes the cheek needs to be treated to reduce the width of the tear trough. Lastly, you may be at the age where you need more that just fillers.

Hope my answer helps you make an informed decision Ramsay. All the best.

Stay absolutely safe and well,
Dr. Murray, Absolute Cosmetic Medicine

Long lasting filler options

Hi,How long a filler lasts depends on the individual. All HA fillers are absorbable by the body. There are some 'permanent' fillers such as Bellafil but they can have some long term problems. Another option for long lasting volume is fat grafting. This is a procedure where fat is transferred from lower body to the face, it may be something that works for you. Discuss it with a facial plastic surgeon to see if you're a candidate. good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD

Long-lasting filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. Maybe try Sculptra -- it is studied up to two years, but seems to last longer than that even. It is a milk sugar derivate that stimulates your skin to produce new collagen. It's a great option for global facial rejuvenation, but it requires a series of injections. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.