Ideally how long should one wait before flying long distance after Rhinoplasty?

I live in Australia and am having rhinoplasty performed in L.A. The first flight between USA and Australia is around 16 hours, followed by another 6 hour flight and a number of hours waiting between flights. Ideally how many days should I stay in L.A. recovering before taking the long trip back home?

Flying after rhinoplasty

There are two issues at play after surgery when deciding to fly:
1. During the 1st week, you are at an increased risk of developing a deep-vein thrombosis, as your body is in a hypercoagulable state (likes to make clots to help with healing)
2. During the 1st week, you have internal and external splints, as well as stitches that need to be removed

Therefore, it is recommended that you do not fly for at least 1 week, and it would be preferable if you could wait 2 weeks.  Good luck!

Flying after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. In regards to flying after rhinoplasty you can technically fly after 48 hours but you may not want to for a number of reasons. The issues with travelling and surgery are allowing adequate time for your surgeon to review your post operative results. Usually, you will have sutures removed around day 5 and nasal splint for 7-10 days after surgery. At those time points you usually meet with your surgeon to assess your progress remove sutures and the nasal splint. I would therefore discuss with your surgeon and what time points after surgery he needs to see you. After a rhinoplasty you will also have a blocked nose, similar to having really bad nasal congestion. The inflammation and swelling can influence the drainage of the middle ear and therefore your ability to equalise at altitude when flying. I am sure you have noted that when flying previously that you can feel air equalising and squeaking in your middle air when landing and taking off. This swelling after rhinoplasty may make this equalisation more difficult. Therefore to cover all those aspects I would recommend hanging around town for two weeks after your surgery. Good luck in LA.

Regards
Dr Guy Watts

Regards
Dr Guy Watts