Are my breasts likely to sag after explant?

I had 385cc silicone implants 5 years ago and am booking in to have them removed. My natural breasts were a size B/small C and currently am a DD. my skin stretched quite a bit when i had the implants but healed fantastic with no stretch marks. The implants is placed quite a bit below my natural breast crease. I would like to know the likelihood of sagging in my breasts after removal and how long they would take to bounce back/look normal again?

Photographs and an in person exam

Without photographs or an in person exam it is not possible to help you understand what is going to happen with your outcome.

Sagging after explantation

Unfortunately, without photos or an in person consultation, we can not guide you properly. Your best option is to consult in person an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question but it is difficult to give you good advice without photographs or in-person examination.

What your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.

Consulting with  well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful.  He/she will be able to give you a better idea of whether breast implant removal alone will achieve your goals or whether some degree of breast lifting will be necessary, either at the same stage as breast implant removal, or at a later date.  

I hope this, and the attached link (with many examples of removal of breast implant cases), helps.

Need photos

It is impossible to determine whether you will have skin laxity after explantation of your implants. Seek a breast revision specialist in your area. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS