Advice on Lower Facelift/Necklift for 50 Year Old. (Photo)

I am looking to get a lower face & neck lift. I have consulted two surgeons. One has told me that the only way he can perform the neck lift is to make incisions down each side of the neck (not hidden at all). When I asked another doctor, he told me he could do hidden incisions, but there would only be a 25% correction of the neck. Is this right? Because all the forums I look at seem to have incisions under the chin, around the ears & in the hairline. I would love your input on this.

Advice on Lower Facelift/Necklift for 50 Year Old.

Although the best recommendations would come during an in-office examination and review of your medical history, some recommendations can be made based on your photographs.

It does appear that you are an excellent candidate for a lower face/neck lift.  I would expect far more than 25% improvement if a High-SMAS neck lift was performed.  The incisions near the ears and behind should be very well concealed so no one can see them with any hairstyle, and on close inspection.  Unfortunately not all surgeon take the necessary time to design and close the incisions so they meet this standard. 

To properly tighten the neck, I do believe an incision underneath the chin is required and the incision is typically placed where most people have a natural crease.  This incision heals very well and allows the surgeon to PROPERLY tighten the platysma muscle.

The following link and website offers more information.

You are a perfect candidate for a facelift and necklift.  I would absolutely not have a necklift with incisions on the outside of the neck.  There are a couple of necklifts...a full necklift where there are incisions around the earlobe and behind the ear with a small incision under the chin.  This will give you a nice, youthful neck. The facelift can be done at the same time.  There is also a smaller (mini) necklift where the incision is just under the chin...this can provide a 60-65% correction.  Again, the facelift can be done at the same time.  See a surgeon who has performed many facial plastic surgery procedures.

You are an excellent candidate for a facelift.  I see no reason why the incisions could not be in the hairline.  There should be no incision on the side of the neck.  Consult with Board Certified Plastic Surgeons with lots of experience for a natural facelift, which includes the neck.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facelift for lower face and neck

Looking at your photos you appear to be a good candidate for a lower (cervical) facelift. To be specific to your  needs, you should be seen by a qualified facial plastic surgeon. With this procedure thaere should be no incisions on the side of the neck. The incision line is well hidden and very aesthetic. It follows the temporal hairline with a beveled incision, then in the anterior pretragal sulcus , then in the post-auricular fold high to the hairline then paralleling the posterior hairline the the occipital region. This incision is very cosmetic. Please consult with a doctor how you feel comfortable with.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

About Facial Rejuvenation with Lite-lift™

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. The LiteLift™ is an innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself which benefits many male patients. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.
The technique requires limited incisions and takes a vertical lifting approach, in contrast to the traditional facelift, which requires extensive incisions and lifts or pulls the face towards the ears horizontally. The modern techniques used allow us to perform most LiteLift® procedures in the office under local anesthesia. Also, removing the risk of general anesthesia opens the door for more people to pursue facial surgery. All too often people do not move forward with undergoing the desires facelift surgery due to their overwhelming fear of the risks associated with general anesthesia.
This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.
Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for Lite Lift™ surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke.

Your incisions and results explained

Thanks for posting your question and photos.  I will try to interpret what I think you are asking.  First, you look like an excellent lower facelift / neck lift candidate with potential for excellent results.  It sounds like you were offered a mini lift or S lift which involves incisions around the ears but no posterior hairline incision and thus the small results ("25% correction") in the neck area. The next offering was the formal face/neck lift which does involve incisions in front and behind the ears and continues down the posterior hairline ("incisions down each side of the neck" ) and a small one under the chin.  I don't think the latter was explained to you as well as it should.  This standard neck lift incision does hide very well along or in the posterior hairline and it is the procedure that will get you the best results.  Please consult with an experienced board certified facial plastic / plastic surgeon to review your options. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Surgical Options

The photos show someone who has the indications for a facelift.  Interpreting your question, it appears that one Surgeon may have suggested a facelift and the second a limited incision necklift. The photos suggest to me that the limited incision approach would leave you disappointed.  This approach is limited by the lack of appropriate skin removal.  I would ask to see close up photos of facelift patients from any Surgeon that you see.  Incision planning and appropriate tension on the skin are what ultimately lead to good quality scars.  Any board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of facelifts should be able to show you a wide range of work, including close ups, 1 week and 1 month healing time, and long term results.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate

A standard full facelift can hide an incision under your chin and around your ears. I agree the posterior incision can be placed in your hairline and hidden. If you are not hearing theses options, see an experienced plastic surgeon.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Lower face lift/neck lift

I do think you are an excellent candidate for a lower face and neck lift. Incisions should be well hidden around the natural curves of the ears and in the hairline. There should be absolutely no reason in my opinion to put visible incisions on your neck.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Face Lift

Thank you for your question about lower face lift.

Yes, a lower face lift or neck lift would likely give you the improvement that you want.

In general, the shorter the incision are, the less improvement and tightening can be performed.

If you want major improvement, then you may want to consider a full facelift.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS