What to do after post operation breast augmentation?

Hi, I had my new 500cc implants put in 13/10/16 and I'm so happy with them. But I wanted to ask you doctors as well, Do I need to sit up right when I sleep to make them drop quicker? Will they move closer to each other or further apart when healing? They sometimes make a gurgle sound when I move my chest muscles, is that normal? also how should I be taking care of them few days after surgery to heal quicker and what should I not be doing to make things worse? Thank you very much for the help.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Your questions should be answered by her plastic surgeon.  Only the surgeon who performed her breast augmentation is aware of the exact procedure that you had in the proper postoperative care to assure a good recovery.  The gurgling sound can be normal.  However you need instructions on when you may resuming her normal activities, information about breast implant displacement exercises.  Generally I see patients one day, 10 days and 6 weeks after breast augmentation.

Breast augmentation

This is something you really need to discuss with your surgeon and his staff. Post operative instructions should be addressed prior to your surgery and reiterated to the responsible adult that is taking care of you. Every surgeon has a slightly different protocol but I usually tell my patients that they should sleep on their back for the first week and if comfortable, then they can sleep on their sides after that. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets on their own, causing a more natural appearance and more fullness at the bottom of the breast.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would also recommend performing breast massages once your doctor approves you to. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I also recommend that my patients refrain from weight-bearing exercises for at least 4 weeks and to wear their surgical bra around the clock for the first couple’s weeks then after 6 weeks can switch to underwire bras. The “gurgling” noise you are hearing is common after a breast augmentation and shouldn’t be anything to worry about. A gurgling/sloshing sound or sensation isn’t the actual implant fluid which some patients fear, but rather air that is trapped in the implant pocket and fluid that may have naturally accumulated. This is perfectly normal and will resolve within 2-4 weeks. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your recovery.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon