Cool sculpting or Tumescent Liposuction?

Despite exercising 6 days a week for over a year, eating clean for the most part at 1460 calories (based on body analysis) (worse is slice of white bread), I cannot lose fat for the life of me. My measurements are 38-35-42, 5'0, and by the end I would like to lose 8 inches off my waist and about the same for my love handles. Note that all of my blood tests have came back normal and this is my last resort.

CoolSculpting is a non-invasive fat reduction device which can provide a 20-30% reduction in fat.

CoolSculpting is a non-invasive fat reduction device which can provide a 20-30% reduction in fat after one session over the treated area. Multiple sessions can be done to achieve more of a reduction, but keep in mind that results only appear start to appear 6 weeks after treatment are develop fully at around 3 months and sessions should be spaced accordingly. Liposuction can provide more dramatic result in a single session, and for people looking to lose more inches, it is generally a better option than non-invasive devices. Liposuction only requires one session, but full results may not be seen until after 6 months due to swelling. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a consultation to come up with a custom treatment plan and let you know what kind of results you can realistically expect as neither are meant to be weight loss alternatives.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedures, and determine which procedure you are a good candidate for. An in-person assessment is always best. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction VS CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is a fabulous non-invasive treatment which destroys fat cells permanently and helps patients achieve long lasting sculpted results, however if your interest is to lose 8 inches from your waist it would probably be more cost effective to address your needs surgically as CoolSculpting is limited to how much tissue you can actually fit in the applicator. The best course of action would be to find a few reputable providers in your area and go schedule some consultations to get in front of the doctors and let them evaluate you and give you their best recommendations.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpt verses Liposuction or Abdominoplasty

CoolSculpt is a nonsurgical/noninvasive approach to reduce fat in specific areas.  Optimal results usually require at the minimum 2 treatments in each area.  Approximately 20% of adipose reduction is apparent following each treatment.  With your goal being the loss of 8 inches from the abdomen, as well as, the hips, liposuction may be a better route.  Undergoing liposuction will enable the plastic surgeon to contour your body providing acceptable proportions.  Also,  you will have only one downtime.   I would recommend you seek consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to offer you all options available.  Abdominoplasty may be another option, depending on your skin and muscle laxity.  Good luck with moving forward with your weight reduction plans.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Liposuction Techniques- A: Liposuction and Techniques -- SmartLipo Versus VASER Versus Traditional Versus WAL Versus ThermiRF

I suggest a formal consultation with an expert who can look at your body and assess your medical history to determine best procedure safely.  4D hi def liposuction can give amazing body transformations in a short time which non invasive devices cannot do.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting will reduce the fat in the area treated by 20% - traditional liposuction may be able to have a higher %.  The reason most patients choose to undergo coolsculpting is due to the fact that there is no "down time" and it's not invasive.
Best to seek consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon who can go over the pro's and con's of both after an examination.
Best Wishes

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction

You can expect to lose 20% fat with a single CoolSculpting treatment. This is about 1 inch off the waist. You won't be able to lose 8 inches with the treatment. You might be better off with liposuction. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

It seems that the best option for you might be liposuction. Make sure you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for this and any other cosmetic procedure. Good luck.

RIchard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

When diet and exercising are not enough!

If diet, exercise, and a healthy life style has not created the appearance you desire then CoolSculpting may be a reasonable procedure to treat these areas.   You may be able to achieve your desired appearance with multiple sessions of CoolSculpting.  On average you will start to see improvement within the first 2 to 3 months.  You can benefit from retreating these areas approximately 2 months after your initial treatment.   Liposuction may be a better option for you if you wish to treat larger areas or if you are especially heavy.  This would allow a larger reduction of the entire area with one surgical procedure.  Having a consultation with us will allow you to have all your questions answered. 

Eric P. Bachelor, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon