Permanent Muscle Damage and Crooked Smile After Chin Implant? (photo)

I got an intraoral chin implant 1 month and 1 week ago but the surgeon had to go back in a week later because the wing was very visible. It has now been 1 month and I have a very crooked smile. My smile was one of my best features. The chin implant is also very crooked and I had to get fillers put on too of it to balance it out. This is a board certified facial plastic surgeon. I never want to go through this surgery again but if taking out the implant will improve my smile I will.

Chin implant revision in Los Angeles

If you are unhappy with your current chin implant, one option would be to undergo an explant of the implant and perform a staged revision. I perform many chin implant revisions. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Crooked smile after Chin Augmentation

Dear Cherrypie18,

I would suggest seeing your plastic surgeon for an examination and discussion regarding your complaints and concerns. While you may see some unevenness in the smile in the first week of recovery this should be dissipating and returning to normal at this point. Personally I do not use an intra oral technique. I prefer a small incision under the chin that is barely visible to the naked eye. I believe this technique cuts down on any infections, nerve damage, change of smile and other complications which seem more prevalent in the intra oral approach. If your implant is crooked the answer is not to have to have fillers to even this out for the rest of your life. You may need revision or removal of the implant. See your surgeon so you may discuss your options of returning your beautiful smile to it's post surgical state. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD