Perlane Vs. Juvederm, Which is Best for Cheek Augmentation?

My cheeks look gaunt and my face is perma-tired looking. One doctor said I need juvaderm but another told me perlane. pls help me understand how to pick the right cheek injection (or alternative solution)

Perlane vs Juvederm: Enough to give you a HEADACHE

I know this is difficult for the consumer to understand so I like to make analogies to explain the difference.

When you have a headache and you want an aspirin, does it really make a difference if you are given Anacin, Bufferin, Excedrin, Ecotrin, St. Joseph's, Generic aspirin? (They all contain the same active ingredient - aspirin)

Probably not. Right? Some people would argue that Excedrin contains caffeine and is better for migraine sufferers and Bufferin is better for patients with a delicate stomach because it is buffered, but in the end they will all likely achieve similar results of relieving the headache.

WELL: Perlane and Juvederm have the same basic ingredient Hyaluronic Acid. They are made by competing companies and so each claims that theirs is better. Well Perlane is intended for a deeper injection whereas Juvederm comes in two forms Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus. The Juvederm Ultra Plus is intended for deep injection, so this is the one you want to compare to Perlane. The longevity of the results are likelly similar despite the claims and can range from 6 months up to 18 months or longer. Juvederm specifically has FDA approval for stating it lasts 12 months. In terms of volume Perlane contains nearly 25% more per syringe than Juvederm and this may factor into the cost as well.

In summary, the advice, experience and skill of your injector probably factor more into the decision than the exact product.

I hope this helps!

Many fillers are appropriate for cheek augmentation

There are several very good dermafillers currently available in the U.S. for cheek augmentation and more are on the way.  Often the type of filler chosen depends largely on the experience and preference of the injector.

In my practice I offer Hyaluronic Acid fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm)  these have are made of a jelly like substance that naturally occurs in the skin, eyes, and joints.  They have subtle differences in there consistency, thickness, and feel, but are more alike than different.  Another very good choice for the cheeks is Radiesse, which is more or a paste like filler made of a material normally found in the bones.  This filler is slightly more substantial and is better for cheek bone and chin augmentation.

Good luck in your search for information!

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm or Perlane For Cheek Augmentation

Both Perlane and Juvederm are great fillers. Many surgeons use both in their clinics, it is a matter of preference. Some patients request a specific brand when scheduling their appointment. I would schedule with a plastic surgeon and get his or her opinion ( which i see you've done ) and decide which surgeon puts you most at ease. You may even be able to try both fillers should you chose to do so, there is no danger in doing so. One of them may last longer than the other. Thank you for your inquiry, and hope this helped. Best,

Either one will work!

Which paper towel do you like better for spills - Bounty or Brawn? Personally, I can't tell the difference - they both clean a spill up quite nicely. Juvederm Ultra Plus and Perlane are very similar hyaluronic acid fillers with identical results in my hands. While the company that makes each one may boast "cold-filtered", higher viscosity coefficient, I still cannot tell the difference. The difference will be in the doctor you chose.

Bobby Buka, MD

Non Surgical High Cheek Bones

The presence of high cheek bones is part of the so-called ideal appearance for women. For proof of this, you only need look at all the models in the fashion magazines. Flattened, drawn or fallen upper cheeks, on the other hand, make a face look more aged and tired. Cheek implants are a surgical approach to the problem.

The nonsurgical use of volumizing  agents to restore the cheeks or create them (in the case of individuals with long, thin faces who never naturally had them) has become quite popular in the last few years. We have found that, in addition to shaping the cheek areas themselves, cheek augmentation with the use of volumizing agents can serve to lift areas below the cheeks, in effect acting as a kind of minilift for the mid-face region.

Filling materials, such as Juvederm and Restylane, which are less viscous hyaluronic acid products, have certainly been used for cheek augmentation. However, because they are better suited for treating more superficial wrinkles and folds, a good deal of material is required for cheek augmentation and the results do not last more than a few months. Being more viscous, Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus, also hyaluronic products), tend to give more lift per syringe injected and also generally last several months longer before touch up is required. Radiesse, a calcium-based volumizing and facial contouring material, is my injectable of choice for this purpose. It gives immediate results, is hearty enough to provide the necessary volumization and contouring, and lasts considerably longer than its hyaluronic acid counterparts.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Options in fillers for cheek augmentation

Patients have several options when augmenting their cheeks. Typically this area requires a thicker filler for best results. In our practice, we have had good results with the use of Radiesse to this area. It is also possible to use a thick hyaluronic acid-base filler such as Perlane. Our patients, however appreciate the longer lasting results that they can see with Radiesse.

Either Perlane or Juvederm for cheeks

Either Juvederm or Perlane would be appropriate for cheek fillers. They are both types of hyaluronic acids but they are made by different companies. I use both of these products in my office for the cheeks. I get great results with both. The most important thing is for you to find a physician injector whom you trust.

Julia Carroll, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Perlane and Juvederm are both good fillers, it's the doctor skills are the difference

Perlane and Juvederm are both hyaluronic acid fillers. At our office, we have Perlane , Restylane, Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra plus, Juvederm Forma and the new V oluma (also from the Juvederm line). They are all safe products.There are small differences between these products and it allows us more versatility. We select the best product according to the facial correction we want to do. It can be a different choice from one patient to the next. It's more the skills of the injector that will make the difference in the final results.

Safety and natural results are very important and both lines of fillers can acheive that.

Suzanne Gagnon, MD
Quebec Dermatologist

Correction of Gaunt, Empty Face

As we age we not only lose facial fat but also facial bone resulting in the empty "table cloth too big for the table" look. While all conventional fillers may be used to correct this appearance there IS a difference between them which is important here.

Juvederm and Restylane, while great for superficial wrinkles are NOT up to the task of lifting cheeks and filling deep concavities and should therefore not be placed deeply. They will not hold up the cheeks not lift up empty cheek areas. These areas are much better filled with either Fat, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra Plus or Sculptra.

Radiesse is a very good filler when applied on top of the cheek bones.

Sculptra is the only product that has been shown to last beyond 2 years. It actually generates collagen but its effect is gradual and unlike other fillers, with Sculptra you do not see immediately what you have. Instead, you would need to wait 6-8 weeks to see how far your last injection session took you and opt or not for another injection. It is similar to fat in this regard where the amount placed does not necessarily equate the long standing amount of improvement.

Minimal difference between Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus

Both Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus have larger sized gel particles that are intended to be injected deeper within the skin. Both are fairly equivalent in terms of longevity, and potential for bruising or swelling, especially after excessive massaging. Both are great fillers for someone getting cheek augmentation for the first time. Radiess te offers extended longevity however with slightly greater potential for bruising. Frequent flyers of cheek augmenation, however should consider Sculptra to re-inflate upper 1/2 of the face for more natural lift and rejuvenation.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon