Perlane filler before Facelift. Any suggestions?

If I have a filler like perlane prior to facelift could the filler move during the facelift / with swelling or will it make no difference? Confused about the different layers the filler gets placed in and the areas that are moved around during surgery. Would prefer to try fillers before fat transfer and would rather get them before than having to wait till after surgery for swelling.

Filler before face lift

Thank you for your question.   I would recommend waiting to have filler once you have completely healed from the face lift.  It will move some of the filler most likely.

Restylane Lyft before Facelift

If you are having a facelift soon after the planned filler, you will probably lose some of the filler. You can try saline injections to see if volume looks good on you. This would be cheaper and not affect surgery.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sometimes It Is More Advantageous To Postpone Filler Injections Until After A Facelift

It is not uncommon to encounter patients who have had filler injected into the skin and soft tissues of the face when we are performing a facelift.  The effect of the facelift on the filler is really a function of the type of filler used, the depth at which it is injected, the anatomic area in which it is injected, and the type and the extent of the facelift performed.  
For example, if the filler is injected into the nasolabial folds, we ordinarily would not dissect that far medially, so the filler would be left intact, although its position might shift somewhat due to the upward pull on the SMAS.  On the other hand, a filler injected along the lower jawline may be disrupted, depending, again, on the variables cited above.  
In general, if a patient is contemplating a facelift within the next six months, we encourage them to postpone injecting fillers into their face until after their surgery.  This prevents the fillers from dissolving prematurely, or being shifted out of position, and allows for greater precision in targeting the filler after the soft tissues of the face have settled into their final position.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Face lift and fillers

Thank you for your question because it is so relevant in today's world.  If you think about it carefully, I’d like to rephrase your question as, “What will make me look my best, last the longest, be safe and cost effective.”   Even most experienced surgeons and aesthetic doctors that we teach to use advanced fillers or perform surgery have a hard time differentiating the procedures from the outcome they are trying to achieve. Today, most people in my practice really don’t require surgery and attain a more natural result from other combination modalities including adding contour with fillers or collagen stimulators, neurotoxins, tightening devices etc. To answer your question, Perlane can be used prior to facelift surgery and will not effect the result because it can be dissolved within 24 hours and it doesn’t create scarring in tissue planes.  Most of the time, when face lift surgery is performed or upper face /brow and eyelid surgery is preformed, there is still a need for volume and we often will use longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse at the time of surgery or the patients own fat, if appropriate.  In my view, if you can have a natural appearing improvement with fillers and other such devices, surgery is usually not needed and may look unnatural.   Neither should be thought of as consumer items to buy though and what you want is to look terrific, so seek out a specialist surgeon who is also an expert using fillers and review your options. Remember, the results of surgery are not permanent either, and can be long-lasting and attractive only if performed in an appropriate manner and then maintained with other modalities usually fillers, or Sculptra or devices as your face and body continue to change from year to year.  Both modalities are appropriate and your surgeon should be able to explain which is best for you.
I hope that’s helpful.  

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon