Perineoplasty 3 1/2 Weeks Post Op Complications?

I had Perineoplasty 3 1/2 weeks ago. I had some problems post op, bleeding, followed by infection. My perineum and my vaginal opening is very hard/swollen and tender. It has reduced somewhat since I started my antibiotics, and some of the surrounding tissues have softened. However my perineum still remains swollen with a hard area. I am now on my 3rd course of antibiotics. Sutures remain in place. How long will swelling take to reduce? Will it soften back down to normal eventually?

Persistent swelling and hardness after perineoplasty infection

It takes time for swelling to resolve. Bleeding followed by infection suggests an infected hematoma. This can take longer to heal than normal postoperative swelling, but it's impossible to be more specific without an exam. Your surgeon should be able to give you a better answer.

Its difficult to say without examining the issue directly, but in general infected tissue will soften over time with proper treatment.  Once the area is completely healed physical therapy may be helpful to enhance the process of healing and scar reformation.

Complications After Perineoplasty

Hello. Unfortunately I cannot give you any specific medical advice about this issue without a proper examination. You will need to consult your treating doctor for the most accurate answers to all of your specific questions.

Jaime Perez, MD
Labiaplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD