Will a Periareolar Lift and Implants Be a Good Decision or Should I Not Even Go Through with a Breast Lift? (photo)

I am 22 years old and I was planning on getting a breast lift and implants using the Benelli Lift ( peri-areolar). I am looking for a way with the least amount of scarring and best results. What type of lift is best for me? My other problem is that last year I was in a accident that left me with stitches, I did not take good care of my stitches and they have turned into hypertrophic scars or keloids. What should I do, I am very unhappy with my breasts but I do not want to have horrible scars.

Periareolar vs Lollipop Breast Lift

You are in a classic touch spot because you really need some form of a breast lift but understandably don't want scars. What one would consider 'horrible' scars is open to interpretation but suffice it to say that breast lift scars will look nothing like the ones from your accident. Ultimately the breast lift decision comes down to less of a lift with the perirareolar approach (with less scar) vs much more of a lift with the lollipop approach but with more scar. Which choice is the right one for you requires some more research on your part. Spend some time looking at these two different breast scar patterns and results. I suspect it will not take long before you make that visual determination.

Beware of the periareolar lift

Maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of patients who have a periareolar lift and implants end up looking very strange with the area around the areola being blunted and the areola itself being flat. 

I reserve this operation for patients who need just a teeny tiny bit of lift of the areola or for patients who want areolar diameter reduction.  I don't think a periareolar lift can reliably reduce and lift the areola.   

I think that shape is more important than incision length.  Your traumatic scar is not an indication of how you would heal a surgical scar. 

As per usual, I have learned all of this the hard way over 20+ years of practice.  And I'm still learning!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Will a Periareolar Lift and Implants be Enough?

Thank you very much for the helpful photos.  You can certainly achieve a nice result with a periareolar (Benelli) lift and implants.  However, the optimal result may be achieved with a Vertical ('Lollipop') Breast Lift which involves an additional scar not used in the periareolar breast lift.  This is a decision you can make with your plastic surgeon.

Depending on your 'aesthetic goals,' you have numerous options.  With a Vertical Breast Lift (and possible small scar in the breast crease) only, you can obtain a very natural result assuming you have adequate breast tissue noted on clinical exam.  The addition of an implant will provide some fullness to your upper breast and is an option that you can discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Implants alone are not a good option as this will result in very 'droopy' breasts.

It is extremely unlikely that any of these lifts will result in a scar as thick and wide as that from your prior accident.  With breast lifts, the scars usually heal very nicely!  

Best wishes no matter what decision you make!!!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lift with implants

As a Plastic Surgeon, I would recommend a vertical lift with a lollipop scar and a moderate size implant.  when done properly, the results are better than simply a periareoar lift, which I think would be insufficient in your case.  As a father of a young lady about your age, I would advise against surgery altogether.  Your breasts really look okay to me and I would suggest you wait until after you have children to have anything done.  But if you pan on having surgery, the vertical lift is the best option.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Will a Periareolar Lift and Implants Be a Good Decision

You would do fine with the periareolar lift and augmentation, but you would also look fine with the full anchor lift and no implants if you are OK with your current cup size. With implants there will always be another surgery in your future. That is usually not the case with a lift. You need to be clear on your desired look and then see a very experienced Plastic Surgeon to help you decide the best way to achieve that goal.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You are a good candidate for a circumareolar lift

I perform a variation of this procedure ---  the subareolar lift--- .the sutures are placed under the areola thus reducing the scarring

I would recommend a smooth round silicone gel implant placed under the fascia

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation with a periareolar lift vs augmentation only.

Thank you for the photos. I'm not sure if I understand your concern when you say "I am unhappy with my breasts". Are you unhappy with the size, shape or both? You have significant breast asymmetry and very large niple-areolar complexes. My personal approach would be a short scar (lollipop) breast lift to make your breasts symmetrical, resize your nipple-areolar complex and improve the shape of your breasts. your cup size will be the same. If you desire augmentation as well, I prefer to do that at a later date. The problem I see with the Bennelli lift, is that the areola gets stretched and widened unless the surgeon uses a permanent suture. The other issue is that this technique often flattens the breast profile, reducing projection. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation and lok at their Bennelli lift/augmentation patient photos to decide if this procedure is right for you. Good luck.

Peri-areolar lift will likely give you a very good result

Thank you for the photos.  I think implants and a peri-areolar lift can provide a very good result.  Make sure your plastic surgeon shows you good before and after photos of his/her work doing so as doing a proper peri-areolar lift is necessary to avoid complications.  The other good news is that down the road you can choose to have the vertical incision for additional contouring without any bridges being burned by the peri-areolar lift.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Best Breast Procedure for Me?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although I cannot give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, I think you may have chosen a good operation to meet your goals ( breast augmentation and Benelli lift).

On the one hand, the scars that you demonstrated ( secondary to trauma)  do not necessarily represent what the scar around your areola will look like; on the other hand, it is difficult to predict exactly what the scar around the areola will look like (despite best efforts to obtain a fine line closure/scar).

Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.
 I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons for more precise advice. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Periareolar Lift and Implants

With scars as the ones you have from the injury you are at added risk for unfavorable scars from any surgery. 

Other than for that factor I would probably recommend a periareolar lift with your implants. Perhaps the best option would be to go ahead with the augmentation with incisions in the fold. You may feel that the result is satisfactory. If not you will have a surgical scar to look at. If it is nicely healed without hypertrophy, the chances of having a nice scar with a lift are improved. 

Thanks for the question. This is a complex issue. Best wishes.