Does a pocket for fluid reassorb after Tummy tuck and hysterectomy ? Have a soft lump that is slowly getting bigger.

I had a full tummy tuck 5 months ago. My swelling was gone until 2 wks ago. I had an abdominal hysterectomy with emergency ureter repair and Nephrostomy. Since then I noticed my tummy swelling next to my belly button. Just in one area. Like a pocket. Do I need to call my plastic surgeon or does it just go away? Could it be caused by the hysterectomy and other procedures?

Does a pocket for fluid reassorb after Tummy tuck and hysterectomy ? Have a soft lump that is slowly getting bigger

Hello, thank you for your question. Since you began seeing your swelling increase after the hysterectomy, I suggest contacting that surgeon for evaluation. They need to see you to determine what is going on and take care of you. You can also update your PS because he needs to know what can affect your healing. Best Wishes to you!

#pocketoffluid  #afterhysterectomy  #5monthspostopTT

Contact your surgeon

Anytime swelling re-occurs after everything is healed, it is something that must be assessed in person. So, schedule an appointment with your surgeon. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

New swelling next to belly button

Hello, it is uncommon to suddenly develop swelling 5 months after a tummy tuck.  Usually by this point, everything is well-healed.  I would suggest contacting your surgeons to discuss the issue.

Seroma?

An pocket of fluid which is new and increasing should be assessed in person. Your most recent operating surgeon would be a good option.

All the best  

Fluid in belly

In my opinion, a new soft lump as you describe it needs to be looked at for a source or cause. I would go back to your operating plastic surgeon is a start. Ultrasound may be able to delineate if this is a walled off "pseudo-bursae". Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Based on your description, you will be best of following up with your plastic surgeon.  The "lump" that you are experiencing may be a fluid accumulation (seroma); other possibilities also exist.   Physical examination will be necessary for accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Best wishes.