Saline implant rupture Or implant shifted? Need help please.

have had saline implants since 1998 Under Muscle ,Never had one problem.Now I'm experiencing extreme fullness On Top Of breast (like Swollen)and feels like its under my arm due to fullness.I also have shooting pains, Burning sensations. There's no redness and hasn't deflated Just A lot of pressure, Pain.Its making My shoulder blade hurt and back of neck.What could this be?

Doctor Answers 7

Breast implant pain

Thank you for your question.  It hard to explain why you would have new onset pain this far out after your breast augmentation. It is likely that your pain is from capsular contracture. Since you have saline implants you would definitely notice if the implant had ruptured. I would definitely recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon and schedule a consult to determine the reason for your pain.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Saline implant rupture or shift in position

You appear to be describing a capsular contracture, which can encompass all the symptoms and signs you have mentioned.  However, it would be unlikely to have these problems on both breasts.  If this is a bilateral problem, there may be other problems.  In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Saline Rupture vs Capsular Contracture

This sounds like a capsular contracture and not a rupture. Saline implants that rupture result in decreased volume, especially on top. See your plastic surgeon to confirm.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 159 reviews

Pain and fullness years after augmentation

Thank you for sharing. This could be a number of issues that may indeed be unrelated to the implant augmentation. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you with what needs to be done and can rule out an implant issue and may referrals to other specialists if the implant is not the cause. Good luck

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Saline implant rupture Or implant shifted? Need help please.

A physical exam is needed to determine the problem.  This is first a medical problem, before a cosmetic issue.  See your Plastic Surgeon so he can order medical testing needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Saline implant rupture Or implant shifted?

Without physical exam, and complete work up--including mammogram, MRI, X-rays of your neck and back--it is impossible to make the diagnosis of this pain. However, the presence of any implant which is a foreign object-can create very active scar tissue around the implant. This is first a medical issue before it is a cosmetic one.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

Problem with saline implants.

Thanks so much for your e-mail. It sounds like you have a capsular contracture. Without seeing you or at least a photo I can't be sure but I don't know what else could cause what you are describing other than a hematoma or seroma. Both of these last two would be very uncommon at this point in time. I would recommend that you be seen by a plastic surgeon to evaluate things. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.