Tummy tuck necrosis. Is this normal? (photo)

I am a 45 yo non smoker, average build. I am 3weeks post op from a full tummy tuck. I found out that I have necrosis at the pubic line. This was discovered at my 2 day follow up appt. Is this Normal? What should I expect for recovery.

Tummy Tuck Wound

Typically a wound such as the one in your photo will heal well with local wound care.  Your surgeon will be able to guide you through this. 

Necrosis

Hello and thank you for your question. What you have is a mild dehiscence which should settle with appropriate treatment.  Follow your plastic surgeons advice.
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck necrosis. Is this normal?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your skin edge necrosis.  Small incision separations are not uncommon after a tummy tuck regardless of steps taken to minimize this risk, but will often heal with little impact to your long-term results.  I would discuss this area with your surgeon so that they can offer you conservative dressing change recommendations to speed the process of your body healing from the inside-out.  Best wishes!

Nedrosis post TT

This may happen and will be fine.The important thing is to keep it clean.This will delay the final healing.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis on the suture line

This is not 'the norm' for a non-smoker, but many factors come into play such as how tight was the suture line, did you sleep and stand in a bent-over position for enough time, how much liposuction was done on the abdominal flap, your nutrition (protein) levels, and your overall health.  The good news is that from this limited photo, it seems that there is not a significant loss of tissue and worst case scenario should be a revision in the office unless this progresses.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon and ask them what the next course of action should be. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Tummy Tuck Necrosis

Having a healing problem at the pubic line, which is the maximum point of tension following an abdominoplasty, is not uncommon 2 to 3 weeks following this procedure. As the incision line heals, sutures begin to dissolve and small areas of wound breakdown occur. This happens even without an infection. From what I see, there is no need to be alarmed. You should see your surgeon to help this area heal. In most cases, this area should heal without any bad scar or deformity.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD