Painful scar. What would make more since to do? Tummy tuck or scar revision. (photos)

Talked to surgeon he said just a scar revision but I was wondering if I should have a tummy tuck instead?? Do not want anymore children.

Painful scar. What would make more since to do? Tummy tuck or scar revision.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your scar related pain.  The decision on the best treatment will largely depend on your desired goals.  If you would like to try and improve the appearance of the scar there are multiple conservative and surgical maneuvers to help it mature into a less noticeable scar, but if you had been interested in a tummy tuck to remove excess abdominal skin and stretch marks, while tightening your underlying muscles, a tummy tuck would be an excellent option.  I am attaching a link below with information you may find useful.  Best wishes.

Painful scar. What would make more since to do? Tummy tuck or scar revision

Thank you for your question. If you have loose skin TT will help to tighten and remove the present scar.If not scar management if needed revision depending on your goal. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Have a tummy tuck

Have a tummy tuck. Scar will come off with removed tissue of tummy.  However it is a much bigger operation than a simple a scar revision.  It is strictly your choice.

Vasdev Rai, MD

You didn't say what procedure your original T-shaped scar was from and whether there were any problems with the original healing of the scar. These things could help determine why the scar is thick. Some patients do unfortunately have hypertrophic scarring with any scar, but infection or excessive tension can increase the chances of having hypertrophic scarring.
To answer your question, you can choose to do either a scar revision or a tummy tuck depending on what your goals are for your tummy. If you want to undergo a tummy tuck, the vertical portion of the scar will likely be removed and you will just have a scar horizontally which will be longer and a scar around your belly button. These scars may thicken as well so you must be accepting of that possibility.
Other options to treat your thickened scar now, or after scar revision or tummy tuck, include silicone scar gel or sheets, steroid injections and laser/BBL treatments. Often, several different options are combined to improve the chances of thinning and flattening the scar.