Would fillers help my under eye bags? If so, which ones? (photos)

I have puffiness under my eyes which causes dark circles/ huge indentions in the tear trough area. Would I be a good candidate for fillers? Would this help at all or is surgery my only hope? If so, what fillers are recommended for this area?

Treating the Hollow Under the Eyes with Filler (just the hollows) vs. Cheeklift Surgery (the hollows and cheeks)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question.

Fillers are a good less invasive option and they can help you to minimize the appearance of puffiness, dark circles and indentations in your tear trough area. Typically at my practice, we use Juvederm Ultra or Belotero for the tear trough area. These help to fill in the indentation and decrease the severity of the puffy look. Additionally, a "liquid facelift" approach to the hollow area combined with a thicker filler like Voluma for adding volume to the cheek can used.

Cheek-lift surgery is an altogether different approach that has a more significant impact in its ability to provide a long-term youthful result and full facial shape, and can have a more pleasing result based on re-establishing facial and cheek curves. The goal with surgery is for a more long-term result that provides a natural, "younger version of yourself" appearance by reversing a flattened appearance. Fat transfer techniques can also be combined with surgery to add volume and fullness, although I do not recommend fat transfer to the tear-trough area.

Both options are good options, but are significantly different. I would recommend a personalized consultation with an experienced surgeon to evaluate your goals in more detail. As always, I would ask to see photos of patients that are similar to you that have had these treatments. 

Below I have linked to a patient where I performed an intra-oral cheek lift using small incisions inside the mouth and tiny incisions within the hairline. 

Hope this helps.
Nick Slenkovich MD, FACS

Restylane for under eye bags

A filler such as Restylane is commonly used to improve the appearance of tear troughs and to help hide the bags under the eyes.  This is a non-invasive procedure.  I typically prefer to inject this area with a cannula to reduce the risk for bruising.  Surgery is the other option for more permanent results but many people don't want surgery.  Fillers under the eyes can last a long time, a year or longer.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

What can I do for Bags under the eyes?

Great question...you have a classic Tear Trough Deformity/Bags under the eyes....Filler like Restylane can be used to " camouflage the area, a temporary fix, lower eyelid surgery would provide a permanent fix...this should be done under a local anesthesia with quick results and recovery. Good luck! 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Would fillers help my under eye bags? If so, which ones?

HA Fillers would offer a very temporary result. I prefer Restylane Silk. But appears surgery a better option for you... 

Under Eye Fillers -- Use Cannulas and Go Conservative

I like belotero or restylane silk here.  Please see an expert for an evaluation and use cannulas.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Surgery is a better option.

Based on your photographs, I would think that a surgical blepharoplasty with possible fat transfer to obliterate the tear trough would be a better option than fillers.  This would provide you with permanent long-lasting results that are better than  what fillers could provide.  If you are opposed to surgery, fillers can help improve the area but are unlikely to correct the under eye bags completely. They are more ideal for patients

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon