How much weight should I lose? (photos)

I became pregnant at age 18. I was about 95lbs. I had a larger baby. My stomach had never been the same. My last baby was over 9 lbs and REALLY did a number on my stomach. I am reluctant to get real about losing weight because my stomach looks worse when I do lose it. I am now experiencing sores where my stomach hangs. My questions are: how much weight should I lose before my consult ( scheduled for beginning of March)? IF you can tell by my pic, is my stomach more fat vs skin? Thanks!

Healthy BMI

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. You would need to be down to a healthy weight and BMI before having a cosmetic procedure to insure a safe outcome. Also, being at a stable weight is key to ensure you don't gain weight back after surgery. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Fancisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #mommymakeover #tummytuck

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

How much weight to lose before tummy tuck??

Thx for your question and photos. Based on the photos you provided, you appear to have excess fat on the inside of the abdomen as well as excess skin/fat on the outside of the abdomen. I would recommend losing as much weight as possible before your surgery as this will decrease the amount of fat on both the inside and outside of your abdomen which will ultimately allow your surgeon to remove as much excess skin and fat as possible. Your long term result will be better as well. Best of luck!!

Weight loss before surgery

Before any type of surgery, it is best to get your weight into the normal or overweight range, according to your BMI, which is based on your height and weight.. BMI can be calculated online.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Weight Loss Before Surgery

I would tell you that you should be at a stable weight that you can live at before youdo surgery. That may be your current weight, more or less. An experienced plastic surgeon will be able to evaluate your problems and make the appropriate suggestions. You may not need to lose any weight if your main problem is with the skin.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

How much weight should I lose?

Based on your photos but without an examination, you appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas. It is difficult to tell whether in fact you are a good candidate for those procedures without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children.

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children and get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications. In general, a BMI of 30 or less is considered ideal but this is not a hard and fast rule.

If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before Tummytuck

To achieve the best possible result after Tummytuck , try to lose as much weight as possible, and then maintain it before and after surgery. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about diet and exercise before plastic surgery. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

How much weight should I lose?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

Thank you for the question. Based on the photos provided, it appears you are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. The skin excision and muscle tightening will give you an excellent contour. It is best to have a Body Mass Index (BMI) below 30 prior to the procedure. Also, your weight should be stable for at least 3 months.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination and to discuss the specific details of the procedure.  Ask to see before and after tummy tuck photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps.

Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty / Liposuction / Mommy Makeover / Reverse Abdominoplasty

I appreciate your question.

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

How much weight to lose?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on the images, you will likely be a great candidate for a tummy tuck. You are correct that losing more weight will accentuate your excess skin.  But your surgeon will likely be able to excise more of the excess skin if you get to within 10 pounds of your goal weight.  With this scenario you will get a more lasting result. 

Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  A physical examination will be more helpful in order for your surgeon to determine what you can achieve based on your anatomy. 

Spencer Eagan M.D.  

Spencer Leigh Eagan, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon