Traveling for implants, what about follow up?

I am considering a surgeon in Miami (I live in Pa). I am curious how this works when you are out of state. How long should patients stay before heading home? What is the typical timing for post op appointments?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. The surgeon that you will have your procedure with will inform you off all the details needed I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Problems

I recommend a local surgeon seeing as how if you have an issue 1 week or 1 month later, it will be difficult to travel back and forth to Miami. I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Travelling for your surgery

When you make plans to travel to have surgery done, do so because you found a great surgeon, not a great deal ;-)
when you do make your travel plans, take into account that you will need to stay in the area for the initial recovery (speak to the surgeon's office about their protocols) and realize that post op care and follow up are important and see how that would done.  We stay in touch with out patients via email etc.  In the unfortunate situation that you have a complications, you will need to fly back to Miami as your surgeon won't be able to manage your problem long distance.
Also make sure your health insurance covers you in Miami

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Unfortunate

This is an unfortunate situation. It would be one thing if there were no excellent surgeons in your region but to go a thousand miles away is ridiculous. If you have a complication or serious issue once you get home, I hope that you have the resources and frequent flier miles to get back to Florida. This is just not a good idea. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

You are probably better off having your surgery closer to your home.  If you are going to travel, you probably should remain in town for a week or two. Always best to ask you surgeon.

Traveling for Surgery

When you travel for surgery you need to consider many things.  First of all if there are any issues after surgery you would need to stay longer or return back to that surgeon.  Otherwise, when you are home you would need to consult with a local plastic surgeon and likely pay out of pocket for any treatment.  I see many patients in NYC who have traveled to South America for surgery.  They come to me for anything from removing a retained suture or revision of their results.  When you add it all up - travel, hotel, surgery it may be better to have surgery locally unless you have the resources for the factors discussed above.

Good luck

David Shafer, MD

Traveling for surgery

Thanks for reaching out.  Typically I would say having around for about a week would be a safe bet.  That will give your surgeon enough time to check in on you to make sure there are no complications and to get sutures out.  The only other thing I would add is that while many people travel to different parts of the country to get a better deal on surgery, are you sure you want to be >1000 miles away from your surgeon?  You live in a part of the country where there are many talented surgeons, and choosing a surgeon in your local community will give you better continuity of care, and the ability to see your surgeon at 4 weeks and 3 months without having to travel too far.  There are many instances that a different type of breast band would benefit you at 4 weeks or changing your massage technique can improve you results  I am not trying to get you to change your decision, only to offer a different point of view.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation question

These are all very good questions. What matters most is what your surgeon says. Contact them to ask them how they handle patients who are traveling. Likely, they have some experience with this. 

Post-op care when you travel for breast implants

My out-of-state patients usually stay in Philadelphia for 3 to 7 days after surgery so that I can evaluate them prior to their returning home. Ideally I like to then re-evaluate them at three weeks and three months. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." I hope this info helps.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for breast implants, what about follow up?

Routine follow-up after breast augmentation in my practice is the day after surgery, 10-12 days for suture removal and 6 weeks to check implant position and softness of implant.

You should discuss the routine of the surgeon you have chosen and Miami.