Will this prevent me from being able to have a tummy tuck?

Prediabetes and fasting night before surgery--I have prediabetes. My blood sugar is about 110, on average, in the morning. It is fine the rest of the day. That being said, if I don't have a proper balance of protein/carbs for breakfast, I'm getting low blood sugar within an hour or two of starting my day. I WILL speak to my doctor when I go for a consult, but am curious NOW.. haha. I have read that I can't eat after midnight. Thanks in advance!

Will this prevent me from being able to have a TT?

Thank you for your question. Generally you will be the first surgery of the day to avoid fasting during the day. You will be asked not to eat or drink anything for 8-12 hours before surgery, depending on the protocol of the clinic. Diabetics have surgery all the time. 

Tummy tuck

Controlled blood sugar with medical clearance should not prevent you from having a tummy tuck.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to determine if you are a candidate and to discuss your options and expectations.

Pre-Diabetes and Surgery

Thanks for your question.  The great news is that plastic surgeons and anesthesiologists are super at pre-planning to keep your sugars within a normal level before, during, and after surgery.  Just make sure to work with a good team of board certified plastic surgeons and anesthesiologists, keep communication clear, and track your sugars as recommended.  You will be great!

Cheers and best wishes,
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Prediabetes and tummy tuck

Your pre-diabetes will not prevent you from getting a tummy tuck. When you have your consult, share your concerns with your surgeon. He or she will take you full medical history and together, you can come up with the right plan of action for your body and your health. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Abdominoplasty

No, prediabetes will not prevent you from having an abdominoplasty. It sounds like you have very good control and good understanding of diabetes. Your surgeon will let you know when you can eat before and after surgery and the anesthesiologist will monitor your blood sugar levels throughout surgery as well. You should do just fine!

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

No pre diabetes is not an absolute contraindication for having tummy tuck surgery. Speak with your doctor and your surgeon. They can guide you through optimizing your blood sugars to cut down on the risk of complications from surgery.

Thank you for your question.  As with all aesthetic surgery procedures it would be important to medically optimize your pre-diabetes before pursuing any surgery, and it sounds as if yours is currently well-managed.  Oftentimes patients with diabetes are placed as the first case of the day to avoid any significant blood sugar swings, and it is something you should address with your surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Prediabetes and tummy tuck

You can certainly still have an excellent result with a tummy tuck. As long as your hemoglobin A1 C is less than 7.4 and your primary care doctor is satisfied with your overall glucose control then it will not be an issue. Also, as previously mentioned, the anesthesiologist will also make sure that your blood sugars right before and after surgery are tightly controlled.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

You will be able to have a tummy tuck. You should discuss this with your surgeon but the blood surag issue can be well managed by the anesthesiologist around the time of the procedure. Input from you rpimary care physician is also helpful.
Best of luck to you.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and TT

You should be able to have it done.your primary care doc can give you medical clearance and with an IV going you should be fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon