How long after having a baby should you wait to get a tummy tuck?

I had my second child almost 9 months ago. He was over 10 pounds and I have a large pouch now . I'm wondering if I should wait till the year mark.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend waiting 6 months after child birth, which you have already done.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

You will get a variety of answers about how long to wait after childbirth before having a mommy makeover or tummy tuck. There are numerous reasons to wait a minimum of 6 months after delivery, which you have already done,  in order to get the best cosmetic result with the lowest risk of complications:
Your body, including your abdomen is still changing. You may have not lost all of your pregnancy weight.
You cannot lift the baby postoperatively for weeks after a “mommy makeover”. The number of weeks depending on the extent of the procedures performed.  You will need additional support at home to take of the baby as well as you.
I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

The best thing to do is to achieve your baseline weight prior to a tummy tuck. After having children, it may take 6 months to 1 year to lose the pregnancy weight (of course, each patient is different). It will also likely be in your best interests to have your child a little older,  and more self-sufficient, prior to proceeding. 
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
Since you considering undergoing a major operation which again involves a significant physical AND emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven. 2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation. 3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary. 5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers. 6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery. 7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery. 11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through possible tougher emotional times after your surgery. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Timing is key to having a successful tummy tuck.

Most plastic surgeons want women to wait at least 6 months after childbirth before having a tummy tuck, but that number isn’t etched in stone. There are other things to consider when determining the best time for your surgery. First, are you finished having children? Although it’s entirely possible to have a safe pregnancy after a tummy tuck, you might consider waiting until your family is complete so you’re more likely to maintain your results. Secondly, it’s best to have a tummy tuck once you’ve reached a weight you plan to maintain in the long run. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the results you can likely expect and whether now is the right time. Best of luck to you.

6 months

Congratulations on your second child!  Usually, I recommend that patients wait at least 6 months after they’ve given birth, or after they’ve stopped breastfeeding. This gives your body enough time to get over the effects of pregnancy and childbirth, so your results will be longer lasting. It also allows your body time to heal after the experience.

How long after childbirth should I wait to have a tummy tuck.

In general I would recommend waiting at least 6 months after having a baby to have a tummy tuck.  You should also be at a stable weight.  Since you are nine months out from having your child, now would be a good time to have a consultation with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Post-Pregenancy Tummy Tuck...

I would consider a couple of things before going through this elective procedure: Are you planning on having more children and will you be breast feeding? I would recommend waiting about six months for your body to go back to its normal state, before having surgery, but you can make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation regarding this procedure at any time. Good Luck!

I would suggest that check with your gynecologist and then consult with a Board Certified PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you wait 6 months to 1 year after you finish breast feeding prior to undergoing elective surgery.  This will give your body time to recover and heal as well as for your hormones recalibrate. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I recommend to wait at least 6 months after you stop the nursing the baby. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.