Lipo or tummy tuck?

I have had two consults for abdominalplasty. One doctor did mention that we could try lipo before the tuck to see if we get the desired outcomes. I am ready to schedule , but I am going back and forth now . Am I more of a candidate for lipo or a tuck? I have had 2 kids and do not plan on having any more. Pics are the front , side, and bending over. Thank you.

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck after pregnancy?

For some patients a simpler smaller procedure without scarring is appealing to reduce fat without removing skin or muscle.  I find that for most women who've had pregnancies a tummy tuck is needed to achieve the often dramatic and desired result.  I would be thinking in those terms for you but it ends up being a personal decision based on multiple factors.  Watch the video above for additional information about the choice of procedures.

Best wishes and good luck in making your decision.  Enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Tummy tuck and liposuction

Thank you for your question and pictures. After looking at your pictures it looks like you are a candidate for both a tummy tuck and liposuction. Combining these 2 procedures will give you the best results possible. The tummy tuck will tighten and remove extra skin from your abdomen, while the liposuction can be used to sculpt and contour your body. Since you have had 2 different opinions at this point, it might be best to get 1 more opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon to help you figure out what is truly best for you. However, if you are comfortable with it, I would likely recommend you go ahead with the tummy tuck and liposuction now so you can get the best results and not have to worry about a second surgery in the future. I would need to examine you in person though before giving you my final recommendation. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Lipo vs. Tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and photos! Based on these pictures, I would argue that you'd benefit from a tummy tuck for the most effective results. It is true that liposuction can also remove fat, but it can't fix flabby, hanging skin, which often persists after weight loss or childbirth. In many cases, combining tummy tuck with lipo will enhance the results and give you that amazing flat stomach you've always dreamt of. 

As always, an in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

TT and Lipo

Thank you for your question and photo.

i suggest you to do a tummy tuck to remove excessive fat tissue) combined with a lipo(to mold your body figure).

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck or liposuction.

• This is a common concern - everyone would like liposuction to avoid the tummy tuck.
  • After children, especially if you have stretch marks and loose skin, liposuction results can be disappointing.
  • But if you yourself want to try liposuction first - that is fine.
  • Just be prepared to have two operations six months apart, becuase you are likely to end up wanting the tummy tuck as it will give you your best result.
  • And finally - your best advice comes from an examination. On-line advice based on photos can be very helpful but is never the last word!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

Oftentimes patients and their doctors discuss at length the pros and cons of a tummy tuck versus liposuction for improving their abdominal contour.  For those patients that are done with having children, a tummy tuck may be more of an attractive option as it can address excess skin and fat as well as tighten the muscles.  Liposuction will only remove fat.  In order to make an educated decision, you may require a few visits to your doctor, or visits to another for a second opinion.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Lipo or tummy tuck

You should be evaluated in person. If you have loose skin and weak muscles then a tummy tuck might be best.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck or Lipo

You are a good candidate for either surgery. The real question is what type of results are you looking to achieve. 

If you want reduction of the fat, but still loose skin and bulging then liposuction is the right choice.

If you want a tight stomach with no loose skin and are willing to accept more scars, then a tummy tuck is the right answer for you.

Good luck!

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or liposuction

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo's I would say you need a tummy tuck.  Liposuction alone will not get rid of lose skin and will leave you with a result you may not be happy with.  It would be best for you to have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in order to address your concerns.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS