Need lift with augmentation? Should nipple sensitivity be a concern with a lift? (Photos)

Hello, I am planning on getting implants. I am 37, have had one child and I am active. I am wondering whether I would also need to have a lift, as well. I don't want to go larger than a full C cup, but would like to avoid the lift, I am concerned about losing nipple sensitivity.

Need lift with augmentation? Should nipple sensitivity be a concern with a lift?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

To lift or not to lift

It is more likely to lose or have diminished nipple sensation from the augmentation rather than the lift. Based on your photo alone, whether or not you need a breast lift depends on the look you desire. The placement of your nipple and areola play a role, as well as ptosis(drooping) of the breast. Keep in mind that it is also a trade of, putting scars in front  of your breast to achieve a very perky look vs. having a more natural fuller look with just implants. I recommend consulting with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and looking at before and after photos of breasts that resemble yours prior to making this important decision.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

After viewing your photos, I feel your best outcome would be accomplished with the combination of an augmentation and a lift.  Your breasts won't look balanced without both procedures.

The chance of losing nipple sensation during the combined procedures is a possibility but unlikely.  I recommend scheduling a consultation with one or two board certified plastic surgeons that feel comfortable doing the augmentation and lift at the same time.

Should nipple sensitivity be a concern with a lift?

Ordinarily nipple sensation should not be changed with a breast lift. Nipple sensation changes can occur with breast augmentation however, even with an breast fold approach though the risk is a small one. Looking at your photo the lift seems iffy and might not warrant the breast scar so consider carefully.

Nipple sensitivity

Any time there is surgery performed on the breast, there is always a small risk of a change in the nipple sensation.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for breast implants with a lift.  This can be designed in a way to minimize scarring.   Nipple sensitivity should remain unchanged. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

BA

Based on your photos you could undergo a breast augmentation without a lift.  If the implants are placed in the dual plane, the nipple/areolas can be slightly elevated during the augmentation obviating the need for a lift.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

Breast lift and implant?

You are  on the borderline for needing a lift with your augmentation. I probably would offer you a dual plane augmentation and try to avoid the lift with scars and costs. I think you will have a nice result but not as "perky" as one would get by including a lift. But a lift could be done at any point in the future. Good luck.

Lift with implants

Any breast surgery can result in changed sensation, usually temporary but can be permanent.

For best results, implants with a lift, especially on your larger side, would be indicated.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Possibly, possibly better

There are two types of nipple sensation.  The first is tactile - for instance when a doctor touchs your breasts.  The other is sensual (in an erotic situation).  Loss of sensation is a definite known complication.  However, frequently touch sensation descrease, while sensual sensation increases.