I am torn as to who should perform my breast aug. Any suggestions?

The surgeon I really would like to do my surgery has the best before and after photos. However, there are a couple concerns. He doesn't do a mandatory pre op appt. I am responsible to have my physical and blood work done. It's not done in his office. So I am torn between choosing a dr who might not do things 100% the way I prefer prior to surgery but who does great work OR picking a dr who doesn't have as great of photos but does everything right prior to surgery.

Finding the right surgeon...

There shouldn't be any unanswered concerns prior to surgery.  Before and afters are very important, but so is being completely comfortable with the safety of the surgery.  If you wish to see the doctor again prior to surgery and he refuses, find another doctor.  In my practice we see all cosmetic patients for a second visit prior to surgery to review any lab work, answer additional concerns, and to resize implants to make certain you are getting the optimal result.

Breast Augmentation: Experience and Compatibility Count

Good question. The most important thing is the doctor's experience - how many breast augmentation's he or she has performed, closely followed by your compatibility with the surgeon. Were your concerns addressed? Did you feel comfortable with the doctor's responses to your questions? In your gut, if it doesn't feel quite right, go on another consultation. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Selecting a surgeon for breast augmentation

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery(ASPS) and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see before and after photos.

It is not correct for you to assume there is something wrong about drawing blood work. Results matter.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon

I often have patients get blood work and an exam by their medical doctor.  I usually see patients more than once before surgery as well.  Each doctor is different.  Best of luck.

Choosing a Surgeon

It is very important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon, the information provided, and that you have had all of your questions answered prior to surgery. While photos are important, there is variability in how surgeons post photos (best versus average results) and at the end of the day you need to be most concerned about your experience and outcome over that of other patients. It is very possible that this surgeon would see you again if they were informed that you had more concerns. If that is not the case, a second or third opinion may be worthwhile to put your mind at ease.

Finding the Right Doctor

Thanks for your question.  It is common for preoperative work (physical exam, bloodwork, tests, etc) to be done outside of the office.  This issue alone should not dissuade you as I think you would find that a common practice elsewhere.  That being said, you should be 100% comfortable before moving forward.  I would never want to operate on a patient who feels "torn".  To that end, you should revisit with your surgeon to air all your concerns.  I also think - and in fact recommend to my patients - that they have multiple consults with as many surgeons as they need to fee comfortable.  This is a big decision for you!  You need to feel as confident as comfortable as possible moving forward.
Good luck!

Choosing a surgeon

It can be normal to have your physical and blood work done outside of your surgeon's office. It is OK but probably not the norm to only have one consultation for breast augmentation. If you are uncertain and one is not offered you should request a second consultation. If your requests are not met you should consider a different surgeon. 

Breast augmentation

You should feel comfortable with your doctor and vice versa. There is no absolute protocol that every plastic surgeon follows- there will be differences in pre op routines- but if you would feel better with a second pre op visit, you should ask for one.

For example, in our office, we require at least a second consultation (3rd or 4th if there are dirt the questions or concerns) to review the informed consent, risks, complications, implant style and size, expectations, recovery, etc. This also includes medical clearance with our in office internist.

Choosing the right surgeon

Choosing the right surgeon for you is a big decision in the process.  You want to absolutely make sure that they are a board certified plastic surgeon, first and foremost.  You can look online to make sure they are.  

You also want to make sure you and doctor are on the same page and that you feel comfortable and confidient in them and their expertise to perform your breast augmentation.

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation, and resources to find a board certified plastic surgeon, you and download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Before & after photos

Thank you for your question. I would not base a surgeon's abilities solely on published before & after photos. There are SO many factors that go into the choice of a surgeon, which should primarily be how he/she makes you feel, and researching that they have proper training and credentials. I have a large library of before & after photos that I review with patients in the comfort of our office, many of which are not published publicly on our website. I bet the surgeon you really felt the most rapport with can show you more photos if you'd like. Best wishes to you.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon