How does a drainless tummy tuck work?

Drainless tummy tuck

A tummy tuck that doesn’t require the placement of drains after surgery is based on the unique suturing technique applied to minimize spaces where fluid can build up (which increases your risk of excessive swelling and seroma or hematoma). The space between your abdominal wall and fat/skin is eliminated with progressive tension sutures, making drains unnecessary in many cases. 

Drain - less tummy tuck

For 15 years I put drains in my tummy tuck patients. For the past 9 I have not and both my patients and I area very happy with the change in technique.In a regular (with drain) tummy tuck the skin is lifted and only sutured down to the incision in the lower part of your belly creating a large open space that your body fills with fluid. You need a drain to remove it but drains are painful, need emptying three times a day at least, have to stay for a week or two, and be a source of infection etc etc.In a drain-less tummy tuck, I suture the underside of the skin back to the muscles of your belly thereby eliminating the space for the fluid build up and so there is no need for a drain with all its benefits!

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Drainless Tummy Tuck

I do not use drains any more with this procedure and have switched from pain pumps to Exparel  which is a long acting injectable pain medicine like Lidocaine or Marcaine but lasts for three days. This is injected all along the muscle and skin to provide pain relief.   This is termed the Pain-less, Drainless Tummy Tuck. These are just a few key points, but there is some additional information in the video attached here. Best of luck!