Breast augmentation scheduled but there is no pre op appointment scheduled.

I found a surgeon I really liked. Scheduled my surgery the day of consult. After getting home I realized no one mentioned a pre op appt to me. I called the office and they said they generally don't do pre ops unless the patient needs more help with sizing etc. I am wondering if this is fishy. I was given a pre op packet and I am responsible for the physical I need done as well as blood work which will be sent right to him. Should I be concerned there is no mandatory pre op appointment?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Find a American Society of Plastic Surgery(ASPS) and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Go on consultations for your breast augmentation

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery(ASPS) and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see before and after photos.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Pre operative consultation

Dear alh,
  Every doctor has a different approach to that issue.
    In my practice, I see patients at least twice before surgery, because even after lengthy discussion in the first consultation, there are always additional questions that patients forget to ask due to nervousness. Many times , they also want to bring to the second discussion their partner - husband, boyfriend etc.
 So, I will not call it 'fishy', but I agree with you that it appears to be a little rushed.  If he declines to see you one more time before surgery, I will be concerned about his post operative care responsiveness.
  Even though you liked him, due diligence is very wise. Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous , consistent and attractive. 
  It is also very helpful to check the 'realself' reviews for positive experience reports.
                              Dr Widder

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question. every surgeon has their own system. But the best way to do it is the day before surgery, talk and see the patient, answer their questions and everything. Even if its the day of surgery is ok, but the surgeon has to tell the patient everything and be there for the patient always.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Pre op appointment

Hello. A pre-operative appointment is mandatory  in most practices so that you and your surgeon can discuss relevant concerns. One might consider it to be a bit cavalier to proceed with surgery without a pre-op appointment. Be careful. 

Dr. B

A preoperative appointment is essential

Every office has their own system.  We spend one hour with every patient at the preoperative appointment going through all of the consent forms, all of the preoperative and postoperative instructions, taking photographs, explaining the medications, retrying sizers, giving the patient their prescriptions, and answering all of the questions.  This way you can have your medications at home already when you get home.  If you don't have your prescriptions then you have to stop on your way home from surgery to get them, or someone needs to go out to get them and leave you alone potentially in pain.  I think a preoperative appointment is essential.  If they do not usually do a preoperative appointment, but offered you one in particular because you requested it, take them up on it.  You should not be going into surgery uncomfortable or without all of your questions answered.

Breast Augmentation Pre-Op Appointment Necessary?

Every surgeon works differently. However, the fact that you feel uncomfortable is a red flag. I would advise you to listen to you gut and perhaps schedule a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast augmentation but there is no pre-op appointment.

Each practice will have a routine, though we feel that preparation is important for the best results and happy patients. This is a bit of a red flag, and if you are uncomfortable you might reconsider and look for a another opinion or style of care that best suits your needs and expectation.

In our Practice we always see patients several times before surgery. Pre-op is essential for us- this is where patients get their pre-op and post-op instructions, consent forms are signed, implant style and sizes are discussed again, incision site, etc.. I would follow up with your chosen Board Certified Surgeon. 

Pre Op Appointment

Our office does a separate pre-op appointment to discuss the specific pre and post operative instructions as well as to size for implants. However, every Doctor's practice is different. If you feel you still need more information or time sizing, your Doctor should be receptive to that. Best of luck!

F. Mark Owsley, MD
Coeur d'Alene Plastic Surgeon