How do I get ride of this upper arm fat? (photos)

I am 20 years old and lost 70 pounds over the last year and a half. Always been overweight and had arms that were on the big side. Although I lost 70 pounds, it seems like I lost weight from everywhere but my arms. I'm happy with my body now and my top half is petite, but then my arms throw everything off and look like they don't belong on my body. Is this loose skin or just fat? I need to know how to get rid of it but being 20 I don't have enough $ for surgery and my parents wouldn't let me.

Do I need an arm lift?

Judging by your photographs and your history of a 70 pound weight loss it appears that the bigger problem here is loose skin. The only way to recontour the skin is to remove it. Removal will require an incision from the elbow to the arm pit. This type of surgery should be performed by a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who performs arm recontouring procedures on a regular basis.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift and liposuction

Thank you for your question! Your weight loss is certainly something you should be proud of. Given your age and the photos you would benefit from liposuction however this does not address the skin excess which must be surgically removed. You could consider liposuction first to see how well your skin retracts, knowing that you may need surgery down the road if the skin still hangs.  See a local plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring who can help guide you. Best of luck and congrats again!

Emily Hartmann, MD
Chico Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  First, congrats on your weight loss!  An arm lift would really be your best option in improving the appearance of your arms.  Further weight loss or even liposuction will cut down on the fat, but you will still be left with loose, saggy skin which will need to be excised surgically.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Arm liposuction or arm lift

You would benefit from arm liposuction.  SmartLipo liposuction can help to get some skin tightening.  However, due to the nature of your arm skin, you may ultimately benefit from an arm lift with skin excision.

Liposuction of arms with skin removal

It appears that you would benefit from liposuction of the arms with possible skin removal to debulk and recontour your arms to improve the overall shape and appearance. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Because you have lost a great deal of weight, liposuction alone will not be helpful to you. You need a formal brachioplasty which actually cuts out the skin and the fat. The down side of this is that it leaves a scar down the inside of your arm. This procedure requires general anesthesia and has a down time of about 2 wks.

Karen Quigley, MD

Upper arm contouring

Hello and thank you for both your question and your photos! First and foremost, congrats on your weight loss....70 lbs is amazing and not an easy feat to accomplish! You state that you don't have enough $ for surgery and at this time your parents wont let you. Unfortunately, from what I can tell by your photos it seems as though surgery will be the only way to achieve better contour of your arms.

You do have some fat to the upper arms which can be liposuctioned. However, it seems as though you would also need extra skin removed to achieve a much tighter upper arm. I think with liposuction alone, you maybe left with some loose skin afterwards. I think performing liposuction and arm lift in the same procedure can achieve far superior results in most people than either procedure alone.

My suggestions would be as follows....Continue on your amazing weight loss journey! The more fat you are able to lose from your arms the better result you will have in the end. Visit a couple of board certified plastic surgeons so you can be evaluated in person to determine the best surgical plan for you. Also, by visiting a few plastic surgeons, you can get a good idea on the cost of surgery and this will allow you to start saving money to one day have this procedure.

I wish you all the best!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Arm contouring

Thanks for your question.  Options for contouring the arms would include liposuction alone or liposuction with skin removal.  Since you are young and your skin is tight, you may be able to have a good result with liposuction alone but should discuss this with a BS-plastic surgeon.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

How do I get rid of this upper arm fat?

Thank you for your question and photos and congratulations on your weight loss.
It looks like you are a good candidate for arm lifting surgery for removal of the excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arm.
The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).
I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles) as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. 
Best to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to arm lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

How do I get ride of this upper arm fat?

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on the weight loss!
It looks like you have both excess fat and skin which would be improved by liposuction and an arm lift.
Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS