I am planning to have a TT with BBL. I am allergic to ALL narcotics. What effective meds could be used for pain management?

I would catalog a detailed list of all narcotics taken with reaction to each and then formulate a plan that is less likely to cause issues.  There are options including longer-acting local anesthetics, anti inflammatory drugs, and non narcotic pain relievers.

Beverly Hills, CA

True allergies to ALL narcotics would be extraordinarily unusual. In that there are natural opium derivatives as well as synthetic narcotics, pan-allergy is rare. Many patients feel that they are allergic because they got sick with a narcotic when the nausea is an expected side effect! The beautiful thing about BBL is that it allows you to lose fat from the areas where you have more than enough, while adding that same fat to the areas where you do not have enough! That way both the donor and the recipient sites improve.  Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hello. You should not worry about it. When interview by the anesthesiologist you will explain them  what substances you are allergic to and they will find what to get you avoiding the allergies. Thera are a lot of narcotics to choose from.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Allergy to pain meds?

It is important to review your allergies and actual symptoms or reaction to different meds. Best of luck.

Narcotics and BBL

Thanks for the question.  What do you mean by allergic to narcotics?  A true allergy to narcotics is very very rare....I have actually never even heard of it.  Most people just have side effects which are significant.  There are other medications such as tylenol, tramadol, NSAIDs that can all be used.  Best to discuss this with your surgeon and they can potentially refer you to a pain specialist if you think it is going to be a problem moving forward.  

Good Luck