Should I get to close to goal weight before getting a tummy tuck and liposuction procedure done?

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Tummy Tuck an Lipo

Thank you for your question. Generally speaking it is best to be at or close to your goal weight before undergoing Tummy Tuck or Liposuction procedures. My patients often loose 10% of their body weight after a tummy tuck, but these procedures are not to be used as weight-loss options. Tummy Tucks are best when used for the removal of excess skin, and tightening of abdominal muscles. Lipsouction can address stubborn fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. The combination of these procedures also helps to contour the body. Make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question.   Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.   When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.  Best wishes.

Tummy tuck and weight

It is always best to lose your weight before you do any type pf cosmetic surgery to allow the surgeon to take into account the looseness of the skin that may occur after weight loss. Having said that i have seen that on average patients will loose 15-20 pounds after surgery as their body "eats up" their fat in healing itself.  So if its just 20 pounds or so no need for a diet before hand; If more, then go ahead. During your diet make sure you eat healthily and maintain protein intake, You do not want to be in a bad metabolic shape as that will affect your healing adversely.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Goal weight before tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.

Before any body contouring procedure, I want my patients to reach their stable, goal weight.  I try to give the best contour based on patients' presenting weight.  In case of tummy tuck, if you lose a lot of weight after surgery, you will not be as tight; if you gain weight afterwards, your result will not be as good.  A good candidate for tummy tuck is someone who 1) has reached his/her stable goal weight, 2) does not have excessive intra-abdominal fat, 3) and is medically, physically, and socially optimized.

Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person and to learn about the procedure.

Best regards.

Absolutely

Thank you for your question.  My recommendation is to always get as close as possible to your goal weight before surgery.  If you were to have the surgery and lose more weight then there is a possibility of having loose skin afterwords.  Best to try to maximize the results, and best see a board certified plastic surgeon.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  It is important to be close to your goal weight before having a tummy tuck.  If there is significant fat beneath the skin the amount of tightening possible during a tummy tuck is limited and there is risk of a step-off or bulge above the tummy tuck incision.  To learn more read below:

Thank you for your question. Please do send your  photos so that we can do some evaluation and see what we can do.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Goal weight before surgery?

Thank you for your question. The best a patient can do is to get as close to their goal weight  and keep it stable for a few months before surgery. This will reduce risks during and after surgery and will help you achieve better rsults.  The closer you are to your ideal body weight the better your results will be. A regular exercise routine is also helpful preparation before your surgery. By building muscle, you increase your basal metabolic rate. This makes it easier to avoid weight gain, especially in the postoperative period when physical activity is minimal. Cardiovascular exercise strengthens the heart and promotes a faster recovery from surgery. Your regular exercise routine, it is much easier to resume these activities after recovering from surgery. 

Goal weight before a tummy tuck and lipo

Thank you for the question. Yes, it's definitely advisable to be at your optimal weight before a tummy tuck and liposuction considering that these procedures should not be treated as weight loss surgeries.  For this reason, healthy diet, active lifestyle, and weight loss counseling are highly recommended prior to the procedure. It is also important to maintain a stable weight before undergoing a tummy tuck and liposuction. 

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and guarantee a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS