I'm lumpy and hard above my belly button. I'm 1 month post tummy tuck and liposuction. Is this normal? (Photo)

i had a tummy tuck and lipo done a month and a week ago out of the counrty, i was collecting fluid right above my belly bottom at first my doctor was draining this with a needle but now im back home and i havent been able to do any lympethic massages here and its getting kind of hard and lumpy now is this normal will it go away!???? it does not hurt but im worry it may mess up my results

Lumpy area after TT

Hello, it is not possible to determine if you have another fluid collection based on photos and a description alone.   Your own surgeon is best able to manage your problem so if possible I'd suggest ongoing consultation with them.  Postop care is a very important part of your overall procedure.  I hope it all goes well.

I'm lumpy and hard above my belly button. I'm 1 month post tummy tuck and liposuction.

Thank you for the question and the photographs. It is not possible to make the diagnosis without an in-person examination. Having said that, you are in the early stages of the healing process at this point. Healing from surgery will take time. In the initial phase after surgery, within the first three months, there is a period of inflammation and scarring that must occur in order for you to heal. The surgical areas will typically appear as swollen and potentially "lumpy/bumpy". Over ensuing months these processes will subside and the inflammatory process gives way to scar softening and remodeling. It is during this time that you will start to see your results appear as the swelling continues to dissipate. I tell my patients that they will not see their final results for at least 6 months.

An in-person exam with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon may help to allay your anxieties. In that case I would recommend that you refer to the American Board of Plastic Surgery website to help you in the search for a qualified plastic surgeon in your area. It would then be up to you to call around to find a plastic surgeon that would be willing to evaluate and treat you.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

1 month tummy tuck. Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

1 month after surgery is too soon to talk about final results. 

At this point (1 months post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the after six months post-op persist, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

'm lumpy and hard above my belly button

The tightness, swelling, numbness, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 4-6 months to see results. Your scars will also flatten and fade but usually takes 9-12 months. Hope this helps. Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon