Sculptra, yay or nay?

My appointment is next Thursday. Ive read SO many awful things here!!!! Yes I have researched, gone to two consultations and found a wonderful BCPS. I am freaking out over all the mixed information. Please help me.

Sculptra Yeh

You will want to be sure of a couple of things.
Personally, I use a nerve block and do not inject with local anesthesia in the Sculptra. You doc may not be comfortable with this, but you can ask.
I use a dilution with 8cc of water... I think it is safer
You want to be sure that your sculptra was mixed with the water at least 24 hours before you are injected.
Have realistic expectations
Plan to do it 3 times
Be patient

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra

I think Sculptra is a great product that can produce dramatic results.  Using it is different than any of the other fillers though, so the technique of the procedure can affect the results.  In the appropriate patient and in the appropriate treatment areas, Sculptra works very well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra injections in Los Angeles

Every treatment has risks. I have seen outstanding results with conservative injections of Sculptra. An excellent treatment in my practice. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Yay

I am a firm believer in the benefits of Sculptra, but like an non-surgical technique, your results are going to be very dependent on the skill of your injector. However, since you are seeing a BCPS, I am sure that you are in superior hands. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Sculptra

Sculptra diminishes facial gauntness and creasing by stimulating an increase in the skin’s collagen, a key skin ingredient which gives the face volume and strength. The effects of Sculptra, which is made from poly-L lactic acid, build gradually, through a series of approximately three injectable treatments that are spread out over a few months. Its maximum effects are typically apparent 4-6 months after the first treatment. Sculptra is rising in popularity because of its relatively long-lasting benefits, which can be evident for as long as two years.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Gotta love Sculptra

Sculptra is my go to product when addressing volume loss to the temples, soft part of the cheeks, preauricular skin.  The beauty of Sculptra is that is encourages collagen rebuild and replacement in areas of volume loss and does so in a very predictable gentle manner.  The build occurs over several months and truly allows us to 'Sculpt' your face.  There are certain areas where it won't work and should not be used:  eyelids, lips, and to specifically address a line.  For those areas we typically work with the myriad of HA fillers we have in our tool box to work on lines that don't disappear after your face has been revolumized.   Love this stuff!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra, YAY!

Dear anonymous954:

Yay! But only by a well experienced Sculptra injector!!

This is an advanced injection technique which produces some remarkable results but the injector must know how to work with the anatomy, dilution and limitations of this bio-stimulatory "filler". This is a skin “firming” injectable NOT a volumizing or projecting filler. 

You may also wish to discuss the more immediate issues following injection. Depending on technique, you can count on swelling and bruising so be ready and make social arrangements accordingly. Sculptra does not provide you immediate results nor filling / projection results so you may wish to consider hyaluronic acid gel or other fillers to help you along during the first 3 months or thereafter.

Longer term concerns include maintaining your investment. Typically, after 3 sessions of Sculptra, my patients wish to return once a year to boost the collagen and structural molecule production which has so nicely firmed the skin and generated a smoother more even complexion. Options such as Dr. Obagi's ZO Skin Health, IPL, fractionated erbium or CO2 laser, and ClearLift add a non-surgical stimulus to the injectables results.

Ice and head elevation, Arnica montana and fresh pineapple (for the enzyme bromelain) help reduce the swelling and bruising following full face and neck Sculptra injections.  

I have yet to see nodule formation prior to 4 sessions of Sculptra injections. This is due to increased stimulation of collagen formation and may be tempered with diligent massage, anesthetic injection with diligent massage and dilute steroid injection into the forming lump. If you allow the nodule to grow, you may develop the issues described from decades ago. 

Follow-up with your injector closely and anytime a nodular concern appears. Mostly, massage, massage, massage!

I hope this has been helpful! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Sculptra, yay or nay?

Though Sculptra has been available for years there are complications that can not be disregarded! Plus the long length of time to attain acceptable results after multiple sessions and expense. All things MUST be considered. Than you are the only one that can decide...

Sculptra? Great Product

Sculptra is an amazing product, but it is very technique specific.  Sculptra requires reconstitution in sterile water, which should be at least 5 days and preferably 7 prior to use.  This product also requires a deeper plane of injection and diligent post treatment massage.  In the wrong hands, Sculptra like other aesthetic injectables, can be a disaster.  Best to first do your research on the "who is injecting" prior to the "what is being injected".

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra

Sculptra is a fabulous injection for the face and if used properly can have amazing results.  Proper patient selection and technique are really critical but I love Sculptra and my patients have been thrilled with the results that last up to two years.