Lower eyelid bag after blepharoplasty. What can I do? (Photo)

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty 13 days ago. Yesterday I noticed I had a big bag under my left eye. It looks horrible when I smile. What can I do? Please help I'm super stressed about this

Bags in my lower eyelids after lower blepharoplasty... What to do at 2 weeks after surgery?

I am sorry that you are having concerns about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

2 weeks is very early to determine the final outcome of your procedure. Please hang in there.
Make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. She/He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Post bleph

I would suggest avoiding salt and icing the area. Sodium with increase swelling but will not impact your final result. At only 13 days nothing appears abnormal. You are still early in the healing process and two sides never heal at the same rate, asymmetry is typical at this point. Continue to follow up with your surgeon for his or her advice and evaluation. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Still early

Congratulations on having the procedure.

You still have bruising and swelling at this very early stage of healing.  The tissue in the eyelids are very thin and prone to asymmetric swelling.  Close followup with your plastic surgeon will reassure you as this all improves.

Best of luck

Swelling after blepharoplasty

Hi. At 13 days, you are still early in the post op period. Your photos show that you still have some bruising and swelling. This should improve over time, and the bag you are worried about will probably get better. Give it more time and follow up with your surgeon. Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Early Postop Photos

Best to seek reassurance from your own Surgeon since you are very early in the postoperative phase.  Swelling is entirely normal at this stage and will require patience until complete resolution.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Results

Thank you for your question. At 13 days post op you still have swelling and bruising therefore it is much too early to determine your final results. You should speak to your surgeon if the bags are not getting better.

Results after lower eyelid surgery

It too early to speak about your final results, wait a few months for everything to subside and then go from there. 

You should also have your before pictures to compare your results too, which will help show exactly what is going on.

Additionally, taking pictures while smiling big creates additional creases and lines around the eyes that appear to make you have bags while you dont. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Lower eyelid bag after blepharoplasty. What can I do?

At this very early healing stage you must be more patient to allow the edema and ecchymosis to totally subside, up to 6 weeks... 

Bag post bleph

Since you are only 13 days post op I would sit tight.apply warm compresses and see how it works out.You can always go back an take out a little more fat.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

13 days post op

Thank you for your question. At less than 2 weeks post op it is impossible to make judgements about your eyelid. There is often a significant amount of swelling which can make the eyelid look bad. Wait a few months more before deciding how it is beginning to look. Good luck.